How to solder litz wire with mundorf solder?
Mar 5, 2015 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

coinmaster

1000+ Head-Fier
Farmington, Connecticut, USA, Earth, Milkyway
Hi. I'm purchasing type 6 copper litz for headphone and interconnect cable. I notice that toxic cables has the mundorf silver gold solder on their litz cables but I hear you have to use a soldering pot to solder litz wire, which doesn't use normal solder.
I don't know if I want to be using tin and other poor conductors in my solder, kinda defeats the purpose if your really nice cable is connected by junk.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 9
When I solder litz I just have to crank the heat up on my soldering iron to about 450 Celcius (pretty damn hot). I use silver solder and don't have any issues otherwise.

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 9
  When I solder litz I just have to crank the heat up on my soldering iron to about 450 Celcius (pretty damn hot). I use silver solder and don't have any issues otherwise.

How long do you apply heat to the wires with the soldering iron? And how do you clean the wires so that the solder holds properly? I am trying  to repair some headphones but I am having problems soldering those headphone wires.

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 9

How long do you apply heat to the wires with the soldering iron? And how do you clean the wires so that the solder holds properly? I am trying  to repair some headphones but I am having problems soldering those headphone wires.

I don't know what you mean by "clean". You should only have to apply the soldering iron to the wires for few seconds. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 9
i did one of my grados with silk wrapped litz
kinda neat stuff
the trick is every connector is laquered
on the thin stuff (i used 175/40 to approximate 24 awg)
for the solder to stick with a quick couple seconds
you gotta burn it off with heat like turn the heat up on the iron
also passing it through a bead of melted solder works to tin it

i made some rca interconnects with some thicker stuff
had to sand it with sandpaper to get it to stick

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 9
Glad the sandpaper worked. I do what other members here do, turn up the iron and burn off the enamel... unless it's thicker gauge like speaker wire, then I use a solder pot. You can get all sorts of different high quality solder for solder pots, not just tin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back