How to shorten the reading of CD's on an MP3/CD discman
Mar 29, 2003 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Karlosak

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought Sony MP3 discman D-CJ01. I'm quite disappointed with it, especially with the long times before the CD with MP3 starts to play. What is the problem? It's so sluggish! It takes even 1 minute (!)to start playing and the swapping among the MP3 files is also horrible!
But that involved only CD's burned by myself. On the contrary, I've got a CD with MP3 files from my friend that starts play in 13 seconds (nearly as ordinary CD-DA) and the swapping between files is also faster!!! What the hell is going on here? More I can't find any difference (in format, mode, bitrate, etc.) between my discs and this one. The problem isn't in the medias (I've tryed different discs). Maybe the burning software matters (I use NTI CD maker)?

Can anyone help me, please, how to shorten these sluggish reading times???

Mar 29, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 18
Yes.. i am very disappointed with that mp3 cd player too (as i own it).. according to some other members of this board, u have to 'finalize' the cd.. that will make it startup and etc faster.. even save battery life.. i haven't accurately confirmed that yet.. but i started finalizing the cds.. and i THINK it switches tracks faster . .. .

derek

Mar 29, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 18
I think alot has to do with the firmware on the player. I had a Rio Volt that had somewhat sluggish bootup & CD read times, which were helped tremendously by a firmware update from the manufacturer. I don't know if the Sony model is supported for that though.

Mar 29, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 18
You definitely need to close your CDR. The other thing you can try is to use Nero and burn it as mp3 CD. Nero will check you mp3 files and detect some problems. This will be mostly true if you are burning CD with mp3 files from the net. (I am not saying that I am doing this.
evil_smiley.gif
)

Jibra

Mar 29, 2003 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for help, but I always close (finalize) the CD. I think that I should search for another burning software - e.g. Nero. Maybe it helps.

Mar 29, 2003 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 18
Nero is good. I believe there's a 30 or so day trial you can download. Try that first, If it doesn't make a difference at least you didn't spend your money for nothing. :)

-edit-
At least I thought there was. Now there's a demo.
Oh well, maybe it will let you burn something anyway.

Mar 29, 2003 at 10:46 AM Post #11 of 18
I have this problem with the Toilet Seat Cover (iRiver IMP-400) as well. It's presumably pre-buffering. I've just accepted it as one of those minor annoyances you have to put up with.

Mar 29, 2003 at 12:00 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
That's a cool avatar, Lisa!

Thanks!

But most of the credit should go to the artist I 'borrowed' it from.

[size=xx-small]Everyone can resize a pic
wink.gif
[/size]

Mar 29, 2003 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I have this problem with the Toilet Seat Cover (iRiver IMP-400) as well. It's presumably pre-buffering. I've just accepted it as one of those minor annoyances you have to put up with.

With my ChomeX (RIP
frown.gif
) It was 3-5 sec. So your loo should take 15-20 sec. If I have the data of the buffers correct.

Mar 29, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 18
Err.

I've experienced the same with my D-CJ01 when I had it. Obviously because my
CD's weren't finalized. I just closed them and bam, it read them instantly. Best program for
MP3CD burning IMO is CDRWin. Surprinsingly simple, quick and any dummy (almost) can
make it work. I strongly recommend it, really. Best program I've come across when it
comes to MP3CD. If anyone wants to look into it I could make a little FAQ/Walkthrough for
MP3CD burning, just to make it even more easy.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back