how to ship records safely?
Jul 29, 2006 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Headphoneus Supremus
all this talk about vinly recently has giving me a mild case of vinly fever...thanks jahn!
so i want to ship my records that are currently being housed in the east coast to the west coast. anyone know of the best economical way to ship records cross country in the middle of hot summer as to prevent me getting a box of black goo? and about what the cost would be to ship 100-125 records? thanks

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 8
I was going to ask this question myself. While on vacation back home last week, I hit the jackpot of records at both of my parent's houses. Sadly I could not bring any of them home.

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 8
I would definitely box them in a wooden crate perhaps lined with styrofoam with a couple of thin wood slats and make sure to stack the records vertically. A crated box of 100-125 lps will be around 100lbs so a freight company would be cheapest...can't say which.

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 8
This is easy.

1)Have 1911's folks drop the crate off at Jahn's folks' house in Delaware.
2)Have Jahn go to Delaware and pick them up.
3)Have Jahn play them for a year in his vinyl rig, you know, to make sure they're ok.
evil_smiley.gif

4)At the Cali National Meet, do a hostage swap - crate of vinyl for the HHF-1 Cocobolo #200s.
mad.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 8
I shipped some records out last year to the Northwest. I packed about 10-15 records in each box and cut out multiple pieces of cardboard to ensure the records were tightly packed.

If anything, I would have the least desired records shipped first to see how they hold up in the shipping and heat before shipping your more prized LP possessions.

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
How would you ship one or two records ? I could have to send some to a friend abroad.

Cut two squares of thick stratified cardboard, 5-6 centimeters larger than the record covers (on each side). Put the LPs in a plastic bag. Make a kind of sandwich with the LPs inside. Use scotch to solidarize the plastic bag with the LPs to one cardboard, then cover with the second cardboard (and put the cardboard squares so that the ondulations make 90°). Tighten well with scotch.

Go to the post office etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back