How to ship an item sold on eBay?
Dec 19, 2010 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ebunnage

New Head-Fier
 My very first auction ended tonight, a Logitech G27 Gaming wheel, and I realized I have no clue how to do the shipping process. Now, this may be a very simple question, so don't be too rough on a newbie 
redface.gif

I haven't received the payment yet (although I'm expecting it tomorrow because it's late tonight), but I want to understand this process before I do, so I turned to you guys. I don't know if I want to print the shipping label, or take it to UPS, or if I print the label THEN take it UPS? Or, do I need anything else beforehand? 

Thank you for your help :)

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 16
You will need a box first, and not just any box with all kind of label and logo on it that might confuse the shipping company. My suggestion is to go to the nearest UPS agent (if UPS is the choice of shipping company), get a box from them, pack it up (bring your own tape and some old news paper for filling), then fill in the shipping slip and pay for it, which is calculated based on weight most of the time. ... not sure what to add, since I the last time I ship stuff in U.S. is quite a while ago.

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 16
Ah, I'm sorry! I forgot to mention I already have the box the wheel came in and original packaging, and the weight (18lbs). So basically I can just take the address and info of my buyer to the nearest UPS agent and fill out the information and pay there? Sounds easy enough! Thank you very much

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 16
Just to help you out. FedEx is almost always cheaper than UPS for medium to large packages. Both shipping companies offer a default $100 insurance with provided tracking. If you ever sell an item over $250 on eBay, always get direct signature option to be covered by PayPal's seller protection. Never use USPS for medium/large parcel (5+ pounds) unless you can fit it in a flat rate box. Their parcel rates are exorbitant and do not include tracking or minimum insurance. USPS First class for media such as CD, DVDs, games or anything under 13oz ConUSA or 4 pounds international. First class is almost always as fast as Priority Mail. They all go in the same truck, don't pay more.

This information will save you a lot of money if you do eBay for a long time.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 16
Also check USPS flat rate boxes. If it fits, it ships. Sometimes that is the cheapest alternative. Also, if you pay for postage (flat rate not included) for USPS online you get a discount. Just print the label and tape it to the box.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Also check USPS flat rate boxes. If it fits, it ships. Sometimes that is the cheapest alternative. Also, if you pay for postage (flat rate not included) for USPS online you get a discount. Just print the label and tape it to the box.

Great advice for smaller boxes, but I think this wheel probably won't fit in there, but for future purchases, I love flat rate for the simplicity.

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 16
Extremely frustrated with eBay. My buyer paid this morning, and I prepared to print the label. But it turns out my buyer is in Hawaii, even though I set my Exclusions list to the lower 48. Isn't eBay supposed to filter people who are not in CONUS out of viewing my listing? 

Anyways, I promised free 5 day shipping from UPS in my listing because it would only be $25 for shipping to the lower 48, which I could manage. However, 5 day shipping to Hawaii with UPS is an insane $120. USPS Parcel post would be $23, but it would take 10 days, which goes against my 5 day promise. FedEx is out of the equation because of their $95 ground shipping to Hawaii, so my only choice I suppose is to choose $45 USPS expedited, which is 3 days. I guess I just have to swallow the expedited costs and make the buyer happy when he gets his item faster. 
redface.gif

Ebay will only be useful to me from now on for smaller, lighter items, unless any of you have any extra thoughts of what to do?  I sent my buyer a message earlier, but I don't think he will reply before it's too late to ship today. 
confused.gif

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 16
Your ad clearly stated lower 48 conus, and the promised shipping rate therefore should apply only to the conus.  The value of shipping you offered was $25, so you should ship it via a method that costs $25. 

Since you already messaged the buyer, wait until tomorrow morning for a reply.  If you do not get one, ship it out via the 10-day $23 method, email them the tracking number, and consider your part of the deal completed.  There is no ethical dilemma. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

The flat rate boxes really only make sense for heavy packages, because the boxes aren't as cheap as you'd think. There's a definite weight at which Priority flat rate becomes cheaper over even Parcel Post but I've never bothered to find out what that weight is. The Priority Flat Rate box, for example, can easily out-cost a regular unmarked box being sent via Priority Mail, which has a $4.60 minimum (regardless of weight - applicable to extremely light-weight items). Also, unless time is of the essence, FedEx Ground (or UPS Ground) can be cheaper than either USPS Parcel Post or USPS with a flat-rate box - especially if you're sending to a business address (FedEx & UPS both upcharge for shipping to residential addresses). In fact, if you're shipping to a business address, there's usually no reason to use USPS unless you're shipping something very light-weight, like CDs, cables, or small headphones (where USPS First Class Mail comes in handy, and Priority for the overweight items). For shipping to residential addresses, it usually makes sense to get a quote at both USPS and FedEx/UPS to find out which is cheaper. From my own personal experience, I usually ship anything sized over a "compact box" via FedEx because it's usually been cheaper (and usually worth it for the included tracking). And don't even bother with USPS Parcel Post for shipping large/heavy items like massive headphone amps or DACs - I did that when I first started selling stuff and found out the hard way that it was significantly more expensive than FedEx Ground. Parcel Post always takes a long time and isn't trackable either which doesn't make it worth it at all.

Quote:
Extremely frustrated with eBay. My buyer paid this morning, and I prepared to print the label. But it turns out my buyer is in Hawaii, even though I set my Exclusions list to the lower 48. Isn't eBay supposed to filter people who are not in CONUS out of viewing my listing?   
Anyways, I promised free 5 day shipping from UPS in my listing because it would only be $25 for shipping to the lower 48, which I could manage. However, 5 day shipping to Hawaii with UPS is an insane $120. USPS Parcel post would be $23, but it would take 10 days, which goes against my 5 day promise. FedEx is out of the equation because of their $95 ground shipping to Hawaii, so my only choice I suppose is to choose $45 USPS expedited, which is 3 days. I guess I just have to swallow the expedited costs and make the buyer happy when he gets his item faster. 
redface.gif

If you specifically stated you'd ship to only the lower 48 in your eBay listing, you have no obligation to ship the item at all. Just issue a refund and send the would-have-been buyer a note explaining why.

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 16
I always offer USPS Priority Mail as the only option. I tell people in my listing what the flat rate will be within the US, and that international shipping will have to be arranged by mutual agreement. I usually just guess at what the weight will be and check the USPS website for postage within the US. But recently my wife bought a small kitchen scale so now I can get exact postage up front.

After that it's dead easy. If you have your PayPal and Ebay hooked up, just look at the email notifying you that your item has sold. It should have links to print a shipping label. Works awesome, saves a ton of time, costs a small amount but way worth it.

Tape that label to the box. Postage gets paid out of your Paypal. Drop it off at the post office.

And while I'm at it, the Ebay selling app for iPhone is awesome. Streamlines things so much and makes it really easy to include pictures.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks you guys! I decided to give him a chance, and let him know I will send it via $23 10 day shipping tomorrow, and that he can decide to upgrade to expedited by paying me $20 or cancel his order altogether. So far though he hasn't answered any of my 3 previous messages over the last 3 days, so we'll see what happens. 

Thanks again for the advice! 

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 16
Right...I always get online quotes though based on weight and package size and compare those to the flat rate prices. 9/10 I ship in a plain box and use UPS/USPS about 50/50.

Quote:
Quote:

The flat rate boxes really only make sense for heavy packages, because the boxes aren't as cheap as you'd think. There's a definite weight at which Priority flat rate becomes cheaper over even Parcel Post but I've never bothered to find out what that weight is. The Priority Flat Rate box, for example, can easily out-cost a regular unmarked box being sent via Priority Mail, which has a $4.60 minimum (regardless of weight - applicable to extremely light-weight items). Also, unless time is of the essence, FedEx Ground (or UPS Ground) can be cheaper than either USPS Parcel Post or USPS with a flat-rate box - especially if you're sending to a business address (FedEx & UPS both upcharge for shipping to residential addresses). In fact, if you're shipping to a business address, there's usually no reason to use USPS unless you're shipping something very light-weight, like CDs, cables, or small headphones (where USPS First Class Mail comes in handy, and Priority for the overweight items). For shipping to residential addresses, it usually makes sense to get a quote at both USPS and FedEx/UPS to find out which is cheaper. From my own personal experience, I usually ship anything sized over a "compact box" via FedEx because it's usually been cheaper (and usually worth it for the included tracking). And don't even bother with USPS Parcel Post for shipping large/heavy items like massive headphone amps or DACs - I did that when I first started selling stuff and found out the hard way that it was significantly more expensive than FedEx Ground. Parcel Post always takes a long time and isn't trackable either which doesn't make it worth it at all.

Quote:
redface.gif

If you specifically stated you'd ship to only the lower 48 in your eBay listing, you have no obligation to ship the item at all. Just issue a refund and send the would-have-been buyer a note explaining why.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 16
Thanks for the tips!

Update: The buyer contacted me, and thank god I waited until tomorrow to ship! He said he would like to pay $25 for the expedited shipping, which is PERFECT! Now, the only question is, how does he upgrade his shipping? Neither of us know, and I feel like its a basic question.

On Amazon, I know that if an item is purchased and the buyer already paid but changed their mind and wants to change the shipping speed before the item is shipped, the buyer sends a check to the seller to compensate. 

How is it done for eBay, from the buyer's point of view?

Thank you for all of your help and tips everyone! Being a first time seller is always a pain.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back