How to safely clean wax from IEMs?
Mar 2, 2010 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

primouomo

New Head-Fier
I'm sure there's a thread on here with instructions on how to safely clean wax and such stuck in IEMs, but after doing a search I failed to find anything.. If anybody could give me advice or direct me to such thread it would be much appreciated!

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 12
I usually suck the wax out with my lips
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually suck the wax out with my lips
tongue_smile.gif

Yuck! gross....

You can use alcohol on a swab, CAREFULLY!

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 12
You have to be careful not to overdo the cleaning - Sometimes wax is good for acoustics in big ear canals or otherwise too - they help absorb the sound waves reflected off the eardrums & what not !!!

Otherwise too.....the wax has anti-bacterial properties & is necessary for the health of your ears. So be careful what you do with your precious ear wax
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 12
Your audiologist is accurate too......clean the wax off the IEM all you want - but for the delicate ear, a Q-tip can end up infecting the inner ear with the cotton & if you irritate the inner ear, then you'll end up having the inner ear produce wax like a chinese sweatshop !!

Just a piece of sterilized cotton rolled into a stick should be used to do the cleaning & almost never with alcohol unless you have DRY wax !!

Ear wax in moderate quantities is good for health

Users who are viewing this thread

Back