How to replace AKG K81DJ cables?
Oct 21, 2007 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sionghchan

500+ Head-Fier
All,

Just a quick question, how do you replace the cables for AGK K81DJ? I have been looking for the K81DJ service manual from the AKG site but it stated that there isn't a way to replace these cables, yet, I've seen lots of post and pictures of other users here replacing their cables.

I am helping my friend with his K81DJ with cable trouble.

Much thanks in advance.
SH

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, if AKG doesn't sell a replacement cable, you'll just have to solder in some other cable.

How's your soldering?

Edit: where's the problem? It may be easily fixable.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if AKG doesn't sell a replacement cable, you'll just have to solder in some other cable.

How's your soldering?

Edit: where's the problem? It may be easily fixable.

Unfortunately, AKG doesn't even show how you dismantle these headphones to replace the cable. Also, unfortunately, I don't know where the problem is but when we moved the cable around, sometimes it is okay, sometimes, it is just one side etc.. So was thinking of replacing the entire cable and resoldering under the cup itself...

Thanks for any info though..

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 8
well, it looks like you open a k81dj by peeling off the earpads and taking out the screws.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=k81dj+recable

As for the problem with the cable, usually that sort of issue is at either the earcup end or the plug end of the cable. If you can narrow it down, that would help a lot.

I mean, if you have a donor headphone cable that you like, you could go right ahead and put it on the k81dj. I've done this sort of hack a number of times. But if you don't, I can help you figure out how to fix what you've got.

Generally it means shortening the cable by a couple inches wherever the break is. If that's on the plug end, you'll have to buy a new plug. If it's on the earcup end, that's when you'll need to open up the headphones.

Oct 22, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Thank you very much for your help. Even this start is already a great start!

I'll let you know how I make out.

Cheers!
SH

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 8
I have the exact same issue with my K81s, and so does a friend of mine. The problem is in the jack; wriggling the cable and/or positioning it in different ways worked for some time, but does not any longer. I almost want to try the repair myself (it IS under warranty, but based on a thread discussing someone's experience with a pair of 701's) I'm afraid AKG will charge me or somesuch..

I have very little/no mechanical ability, though, so it's probably not a task for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back