How to protect a folder with a password?
Apr 28, 2010 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
How to protect a folder with a password?

Thank you very much in advance.
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 27
I think you may need to be more specific.

A folder where?

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 27
One way is to use TrueCrypt. TrueCrypt is free and open source.

TrueCrypt isn't for encrypting an existing folder. TrueCrypt is for encrypting an entire partition or for creating a virtual encrypted disk. With a virtual encrypted disk you have a big file on your disk and that file is encrypted. When you mount that file in TrueCrypt it gets decrypted and mounted as a new drive letter. You then create and save files in that drive as normal.

If you have a professional or business or ultimate version of Vista/Win7 you can use EFS. But you really really need to know what you are doing if you use it. Key backup and recover is messy on a standalone system (a system that is not on a domain). Messy. Very very easy to do wrong and end up with encrypted files that you can't decrypt because you did something like change your logon password or changed user accounts. TrueCrypt is better.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One way is to use TrueCrypt. TrueCrypt is free and open source.

Yes, thanks, I already have this TrueCrypt thing but I wondered whether there is no simpler way... I don't really need a super-duper encryption, a password allowing / not allowing the opening of a folder would be closer to what I'm looking for...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really need a super-duper encryption, a password allowing / not allowing the opening of a folder would be closer to what I'm looking for...
smily_headphones1.gif

You can't really do that on a standard home computer. You need to do some sort of encryption otherwise anyone who can get administrator privileges on the computer will still be able to see the files/folders.

NTFS has folder and file permissions. It is possible to restrict other users from being able to read the files in a certain folder. But any user that can get administrator privileges can override that. Any user that shares the same account you use will be able to see the files just as you do. Booting the computer with a Live Linux CD will also allow people to still see the files. The only way around those problems is to encrypt.

There are various shareware and freeware and commercial programs that can encrypt a folder more conveniently than TrueCrypt. I don't know of any offhand to suggest. TrueCrypt is the gold standard for this sort of thing. It is free, it is well understood, it works. Yes it is not the most convenient, but encryption rarely is something that can be done properly and still be convenient.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 27
'Hide Folder'
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'Hide Folder'
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I think you mean copy /b

wink.gif

Or even just encrypt a whole partition

edit: Hah, hamsandwich already brought up truecrypt. I'm impressed
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 27
12 gauge shotgun, nice recliner, guard.

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 27
Too funny Pepsi! I guess I don't have anything to hide on my computer.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 27
Encrypt4all is quite good, and it's freeware. It should accomplish what you're looking to do in a few easy steps. It's no TrueCrypt, but it's simpler to set up and lighter on its feet.

Encrypt4all Software - encrypt files ,lock folders,data protection (Don't use Trial Pay button! Use free download link to the right.)

When I was researching TrueCrypt I remember reading that law enforcement has said it can crack Folder Lock pretty easily. Encrypt4all might not be any better, but at least it's free.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've asked this question a long long time ago. And I found out it's just easier to store my adult movies in an external drive and hide it under the bed.

Now we know where to look.
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
12 gauge shotgun, nice recliner, guard.

LOL!!!
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back