How to properly change headphones on the Corda Aria?
May 20, 2006 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

sionghchan

500+ Head-Fier
All,

Just wondering if you have to switch off the amp everytime you unplug the headphone (e.g. when you want to change it to another)?

Is there a proper way to change headphones?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Cheers!
SH

May 20, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 23
Just turn down the volume to min/zero. Then swap away. In truth, you probably don't even need to turn it down that much... but I'd rather hear that from Jan before I acted on it.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

May 20, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 23
I usually just turn the volume down and swap headphones... so far no problems.

May 20, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 23
I turn it completely off and wait for the LEDs to go out before switching. Figure it's a small price to pay for the extra peace of mind.

Ant

May 20, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 23
I just turn the volume all the way down before I switch. Seems unnecessary to turn the unit off completely to switch phones...

May 20, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate
I turn it completely off and wait for the LEDs to go out before switching. Figure it's a small price to pay for the extra peace of mind.

Ant

Ditto, even though I don't change a lot.

May 22, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 23
Thanks for all your feedback guys. I usually turn the unit off completely and wait till the LED goes out before changing the headphones. However, that is a true inconvenience when you are trying to compare the different headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan, care to let us know your thoughts?

May 22, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 23
Just turning the volume down has been all I have ever needed to do on mine.

May 23, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Just turning the volume down has been all I have ever needed to do on mine.

HeadRoom has a page about this. I'd still like to hear what an engineer has to say... where's Machead when you need him?

-Angler
etysmile.gif

EDIT: Added link.

May 23, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by angler31337
HeadRoom has a page about this. I'd still like to hear what an engineer has to say... where's Machead when you need him?

-Angler
etysmile.gif

EDIT: Added link.

Of course, HeadRoom amps are succeptible to problems in this regard because of the nature of their design -- I can't remember what it is exactly, but they use a certain type of amplifer topology which makes it possible to blow up the AMP by unplugging/plugging headphones with it on. I'm fairly certain Meier amps to not use this same topology.

May 23, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 23
The only thing to be concerned about is short-circuiting of the output for milliseconds during unplugging while a current is flowing. That doesn't happen if no signal is output at the very moment, so you even don't have to turn down the volume during pauses. Turning off the amp actually is more harmful, as it implies unnecessary unloading/loading cycles for the capacitors and possible cool-down and warm-up phases for the whole circuit.

May 23, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
The only thing to be concerned about is short-circuiting of the output for milliseconds during unplugging while a current is flowing. That doesn't happen if no signal is output at the very moment, so you even don't have to turn down the volume during pauses. Turning off the amp actually is more harmful, as it implies unnecessary unloading/loading cycles for the capacitors and possible cool-down and warm-up phases for the whole circuit.

Precisely what I wanted to hear.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

May 23, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 23
Pause music and turn voulme down in my case, volume down only to protect my ears in case the headphones are of a different impendance - my hearing being the most critical/valuable component.

May 24, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 23
I think that the suggestion to turn the volume down all the way is probably the best compromise between annoyance and safety. It is true that some amps are more susceptible to damage through brief shorts than others. I own an HR Desktop, and HR advises you to either power down the amp or turn the volume all the way down. Perhaps this is less of a concern with the new discrete diamond buffer output stage, as I believe it is capable fo handling more current then the previous generation. It really can depend on the robustness of the output stage. The M^3 for example has a MOSFET based output stage and the MOSFETs are rated individually at greater then 17A, making it almost impossible for a brief short to kill it. As well, protection circuits can be built in to cut the output current in the case of a brief short, but those just add more garbage to the signal path. Just my $0.02!

Coldamp

May 24, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ

Is this true even for fully class A amps? Perhaps I am misunderstanding though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back