How to pronounce Shure?
May 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 29
I believe it is pronounced as 2 syllables with a silent 'S', therefore it is 'Hooreh' with the accent on the last syllable. . . hooREH.

Shame and a plague on everyone who did not know this!

May 28, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #21 of 29
Canadian pronunciation: Shur-eh
Deep South pronunciation: Shury'all
Californian pronunciation: Big shure
Texan pronunciation: Shure shot
Female pronunciation: Shurely
Proper pronunciation: Not Shure

May 31, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #23 of 29
Thanks everybody for the language lesson. Now I can be shure on how to call my coming SE530 proudly
wink.gif

May 31, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by babi12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everybody for the language lesson. Now I can be shure on how to call my coming SE530 proudly
wink.gif

Well OK, but I never heard 'Shure' pronounced 'toooooo bassy' before.....

wink.gif

j/k

May 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Hahaha, shoe-ray???

Taking the common English pronunciation of that, if there is such a thing, it's not something to laugh at at all.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that Shure was a japanese company, which is not an unsafe assumption for an audio manufacturer praised for their 1970s phono cartridges.

I further assumed that the name was in fact probably pronounced quite like 'shoe ray' (shoe as it footware, ray as in sister ray); 'shure' could in fact be perfect hepburn romanisation of「シュレ」(syure) or more likely,「しゅうれ」(syuure) or possibly 「しゅうれい」(syuurei) which wwwjdic tells me could mean any number of things including 'graceful' (秀麗).

However I found out that Americans say 'sure' and since it's my belief that language derives its authority entirely from convention, that's how I say it now.

But there's no reason to laugh, if you ask me, 'shu-re' is a more probably pronunciation than 'sure' considering there is no english word spelled 'Shure' anyway. My Phono cartridge box has japanese writing all over it, but the brand name isn't trancribed anywhere, 'Shure' is always spelled in Latin letters. But I would bet you dollars to donuts that the japanese don't pronounce it like the English 'sure', which they can't even do anyway.

I'm quite sure (ahem) that americans go around saying Denon, Matsu****a, and Onkyo 'wrong' too.

May 31, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe it is pronounced as 2 syllables with a silent 'S', therefore it is 'Hooreh' with the accent on the last syllable. . . hooREH.

Shame and a plague on everyone who did not know this!

"Hey, do you guys have any Hooray microphones?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni
how do you guys ponounce 'Beyerdynamic'?

Beh-yer-die-nam-ic.

Eh-tih-moe-tic. Seems like they used to have a page about pronunciation on their site. With ty as "tee" it sounds like Eddy Modic.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back