How to Pick a Good Sound Card
Jan 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #31 of 51
Damn it, X-Fi Titanium! WHY U NO PCI ONLY? My motherboard is very small while my GPU is big that it covered PCI-e x1 slot :frowning2: . So, are there any other sound cards like the X-Fi Titanium? I don't care if it's just 10-20 bucks as long as it's not PCI-e x1 and the price isn't doubled while the performance is the same.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #32 of 51
You know you can still use x16 for it, right?

The Soundblaster Audigy SE is a cheap PCI Creative one. I don't think it's X-Fi but it has CMSS-3D. If you want to go the Asus route I believe most of their cards have PCI variants.

PCI is getting phased out so stuff that uses it is going to continue to get harder to find.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #34 of 51
There are several options for proper X-Fi cards on the older PCI interface.

Chief among them is the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, if you can find one.

Other than that, there's a boatload of Creative X-Fi PCI cards floating around on eBay and elsewhere, and pretty much any one that does NOT say "XtremeAudio" and has a heatsink on it is viable, though they won't have the analog output quality of the Prelude. But you could probably score one for $20-40 shipped, with a bit of luck; at that price, it's hard to complain.

Just make sure you go get the Daniel_K X-Fi Support Pack for driver installation; it helps with those PCI cards.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #37 of 51
Quote:
I found this advertised for about $50. It is a Sound Blaster X-Fi SB0460. Are they any good?

Looks like an XtremeMusic, the baseline of the original X-Fi card lineup.

I'd definitely consider it as a true X-Fi card option (it has the EMU20k1), though $50 seems a bit on the high side given what I've seen them sell for on eBay.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #38 of 51
i think i paid $60 for my XtremeMusic back when they were still new (OEM packaging)

seeing them on amazon marketplace right now for $25-30

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:
What about the Creative Live and Live Drive, Audigy HD EAX or the Audigy 2 ZS

Older designs, not really worth it.

I would say not to get anything older then the Xtrememusic, XtremeGamer or Titanium (non-HD).

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #44 of 51
Even the newegg.com doesn't have the xtreme line-up. I guess I'll just have to go with the Asus Xonars.

that's because those models are discontinued the only "Xtreme" model still available is the PCIe Xtreme Audio which as mentioned is not worth the money since it's missing the hardware dsp chipset

Users who are viewing this thread

Back