How to persuade someone to let you get expensive headphones
Apr 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 34
Is this the age-old "the wife doesn't agree" question, or are you trying to ask your parents for money? (I'm asking this in seriousness, because I know Head-Fi has a fairly wide range of ages). 

Also it'd probably help to define expensive in the above context - are you trying to sell your significant other on picking up a set of HD 598s or the like, or asking for a pair of Ed10s for Christmas? 

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 34
Like if you want nice headphones and your parent or significant other won't let you spend your money on them?

Tell them you could spend $20 every couple of months after your crappy ear buds break, or you could buy one nice pair of headphones that may last decades.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 34
Take pickle jar; eat pickles; clean pickle jar and replace label with one that says "headphones"; add whatever money you can each day to pickle jar; show other person relabeled pickle jar full of money; buy headphones with money in pickle jar.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 34
Explain to the person in question that they have discretionary expenses that probably total a lot more than headphones (. a long time ago I took the receipts my mom spent on smokes and my dad spent on beer and showed them that, they didn't ever stop me from spending money headphones but I could tell they didn't understand :wink:). If it's your spouse or something along those lines then it should be even easier to compromise. If it's your money though I can't really see how someone like parent would have control over that 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 34
Hmmm, never had to worry about it. My wife is totally fine with my headphone habit and thinks it's cool that I have hobbies I enjoy.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 34
Lmao.
My dad tells my mother "If you're doing the kitchen, I'm getting a new audio system!"

If it's dealing with an equal, propose compromise and explain why you feel you need to get them. Make sure you bring up hobbies they spend on. For example, it could be photography. They might spend 2K on a camera but think you're crazy for spending $500 on a pair of headphones.

If it's with a superior, similar measures can be taken. You can compromise like "I want to buy these for X reason. It's just like how you spend that much money on Y activity. I won't buy anymore Z after this."
X=your reason for getting them. (You feel your previous ones are inferior, sub-par. Make sure to carefully word your sentences and avoid situations where this can be replied to with "live with it")
Y= Activity done by the other party which has a significant expense, similar to your own expense on headphones. The best is when you force them in a corner where they have to say something like "but I can't stand using these crappy cameras".
Z= any habit in which you spend money. For example, it could mean less smoking, eating at restaurants less often, etc.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 34
Rope and duct tape always works for me. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 34
Tell them that you have two hobbies you've been looking into, audiophilia or cocaine. The former would then sound better in comparison.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 34
It's my money, assuming I don't have any other pressing bills or financial issues, Deal with it.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 34

Quote:
Explain to the person in question that they have discretionary expenses that probably total a lot more than headphones (. a long time ago I took the receipts my mom spent on smokes and my dad spent on beer and showed them that, they didn't ever stop me from spending money headphones but I could tell they didn't understand :wink:). If it's your spouse or something along those lines then it should be even easier to compromise. If it's your money though I can't really see how someone like parent would have control over that 
tongue_smile.gif

Point out how many pairs of shoes she does not ware but still has or how many different outfits she no longer wares.  this usually wins any argument dealing with quantitative items.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #15 of 34
Tell them spending money on headphones is a solid investment because you will never have a need to upgrade. In other words, lie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back