How to open a fiio E12?
Jun 3, 2014 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Onchiman

New Head-Fier
Anyone got the trick to opening up the fiio E12? I am trying to replace the battery. I've removed the two screws and back cover and assume the board slides out through the front but the bass boost switch is preventing this because it protrudes through the housing. Any trick to this or does the switch have to be broken off?

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 14
I had this problem a while back, I have a bit of noise on the volume pot and it would be nice to squirt some faderlube or similar in there to calm it down. I might have to settle for spraying from without.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 14
The 'noisy' volume pot problem was just brought up on the E12 appreciation thread and a poster had a tip that I tried, and it worked! Simply rotate the volume knob back and forth for a minute. I did this and it's as quiet as it was when it was new.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 14
The 'noisy' volume pot problem was just brought up on the E12 appreciation thread and a poster had a tip that I tried, and it worked! Simply rotate the volume knob back and forth for a minute. I did this and it's as quiet as it was when it was new.

Thanks - It's nice to have confirmation of this, I've found the same but assumed there'd be another way. Looks like twiddling is the way forward!

Still, it seems odd that the knob stops the thing being taken apart - but I imagine all this is in the E12 thread so I'll check in over there.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 14
Para ajudar aqueles que ainda não encontrou a resposta: Para remover o interior do FiiO E12, depois de retirar os parafusos, você deve remover o botão "bass booster" puxar para fora com uma agulha nariz alicate. Após um clique ele soltou. Após substituir a bateria, você pode colocar de volta. Outra dica: o conector da bateria deve ser removida puxando-o para cima (na sua direção), e não na direção dos fios do conector. (Desculpe a ortografia. O meu idioma não é o Inglês. )

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 14
Hey I know this thread is old, but have an answer for the OP question.  My E12 took a swim in a pool of energy drink that was punctured in my bag (oops).  

Simple answer, the bass switch is just a small aluminum 'numb.'  Pull it out.

I just grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled it out (after some twisting, rocking, since I wasnt sure how it was secured, but don't think this is important).  Take the two back screws off, and then the 'guts' slide FORWARD, towards the headphone jacks at the front (so 'case' slides backwards).  Like the graphics from Fiio show:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/674808/fiio-e12diy-limited-edition-version-diy-your-own-sound.

Anyway, you can get at the battery this way!  Side note, battery is 3x 3.7V LiPo's in series (max Voltage 4.2V), so I'm guessing something like 16.6V when fully charged.  Mine was at 11.35V, VERY dead.  

Anyway, 
cheers.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 14
Post #8 stated how to do it.  Just had to use google translate.  

But yea, I opened up my E12A the same way.  Swapped out the Muses opamp for something different after soldering in a dip socket.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 14
Post #8....

To help those who have not yet found the answer: To remove the interior of the FiiO E12, after removing the screws, you should remove the "bass booster" button pulling out with a needle nose pliers. After a click he released. After replacing the battery, you can put it back. Another tip: The battery connector should be removed by pulling it up (toward you), not toward the connector wires. Sorry, my spelling is not English.)

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 14
Anyone knows where can I purchase replacement battery for E12?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back