How to make my Ultrasone PRO 750's sound better with my computer?
Mar 31, 2012 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sinew4ve

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a quality pair of headphones. They are the Ultrasone PRO 750's, they sound pretty good plugged directly into my iPod Touch 4th Gen, but when I use it with my computer, it doesn't sound that great. I'm using a relatively new motherboard P67 and only using onboard sound, but the sound is REALLY lacking when plugged directly into this.

Does anyone have any solid suggestions on how to get the best sound possible out of my Ultrasone PRO 750's when connected to my computer? I don't want to spend a lot of money I just want better sound in the neatest wasy possible... Do I need to buy a headphone amplifier or a sound card? And which sound card should I get, does it have to cost $100's of dollars or can you suggest a not so expensive one that will surely improve sound on my Ultrasone PRO 750's?

I'm also considering just selling them and getting a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P5's which I think would be more "plug and play"...

Please help any thoughts or suggestions are very appreciated, thank you!

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 12
I have the ProLine 750 and find them to work quite well using either an MP3 player or with my computer, and even better through an amp.

I suspect the onboard audio may be the culprit as it seems the be the main variable in the chain. While some newer onboard audio may be pretty decent, overall it tends to be held in pretty low regard by many.

Unless you are looking for a reason to get another pair of cans 
wink_face.gif
    my suggestion would be for you to compare as many sources as you can get the Pro750 plugged in to and decide if they meet your needs and desires.

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 12
Wow, thank you NiceCans. :)

How does everyone else think of the P5 compared to the Ultrasones. Are they an 'upgrade' or just a lateral move? Or am I comparing two totally different types of headphones... "apples to oranges"?

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 12
That's good to know, so you plug directly into your sources NiceCans? You don't ever use an 'amp' or something that I hear most audiophiles are using for the really expensive headphones?

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 12
Oh btw, my 750's sound amazing on my iPod... don't get me wrong! :) Although I have to crank the volume up pretty high, it seems like my Ultrasone's could handle a lot more than what my iPod Touch 4th Gen can dish out. 

Sound is just lacking when using my computer, running on a fairly recent P67 Motherboard (Asus/Sabertooth to be more specific). I was wondering if there is some solution to this like a sound card or amp.

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 12
You should definitely get a headphone amplifier to drive your Pro 750 (which are different from the old Proline series) better. Using a proper soundcard or external DAC would increase the sound quality significantly as well, since onboard audio chips always have a very poor implementation, which results in poor sound quality and/or audio glitches.

What are your main listening habits? Music, gaming, movies?

And how far can you stretch your budget?

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 12
Just add a DAC/Amp combo like the FiiO E7 or E10 or D3 (I have all three and probably like the E10 the best).  Keep the phones............they aren't your prob.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Oh btw, my 750's sound amazing on my iPod... don't get me wrong! :) Although I have to crank the volume up pretty high, it seems like my Ultrasone's could handle a lot more than what my iPod Touch 4th Gen can dish out. 

Sound is just lacking when using my computer, running on a fairly recent P67 Motherboard (Asus/Sabertooth to be more specific). I was wondering if there is some solution to this like a sound card or amp.

Oh, and try Equalizer app on the iTouch ($2.99 and worth it - not eQu by the way)...............you will be AMAZED how much louder it gets and how much better it sounds.  I'm a "V" equalizer guy and the bass and treble wakes up big time with the app. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
That's good to know, so you plug directly into your sources NiceCans? You don't ever use an 'amp' or something that I hear most audiophiles are using for the really expensive headphones?

I use 'em both ways . . . straight out or through an amp, depending on where and when I am listening. I don't like to carry lot of extra stuff around.

Directly out of my RiO Karma they sound pretty good, but at home I use them amped.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 12
i recently purchased the pro 750 but i cant hear any bass, drums or vocals directly pluged into my iphone 3gs and my pc.  the guitars are crystal clear. i listen to rock and metal. do i need an amp or wat cuz im a bit dissapointed with it since i invested a lot of money into it and reading all these good revies. please help.

This is the kind of music i listen to plus some screamo stuff. pls listen to this and tell me if u can hear any bass, drums or vocals pls help me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q62fYnLteDw

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #11 of 12
Truck over to the Ultrasone thread and follow the "unofficial ultrasone owner's guide" - do you have them plugged up properly? I ask because you mention having "no vocals" - which is pretty dramatic.

Anyways, the track you linked doesn't have a lot of bass (at least what I'm hearing).

You might alternately try making a NEW thread in the Headphones section - more people will see it. :)

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
i recently purchased the pro 750 but i cant hear any bass, drums or vocals directly pluged into my iphone 3gs and my pc.  the guitars are crystal clear. i listen to rock and metal. do i need an amp or wat cuz im a bit dissapointed with it since i invested a lot of money into it and reading all these good revies. please help.

This is the kind of music i listen to plus some screamo stuff. pls listen to this and tell me if u can hear any bass, drums or vocals pls help me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q62fYnLteDw

The sound quality of that youtube clip is poor. I don't know if its just lossy or from the mix. 

Check out this clip and listen to the drums (select HD when playing it)..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciLDnsHkqdk&list=UU4a5d57ZAWl999-YXw0C1Vg&index=9&feature=plcp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back