How to make my speakers sound better?
Jul 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

xxmastaxx

100+ Head-Fier
I have Realtek AC'97 sound card. I have Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers. I'm wondering what should i do to maximize sound quality through my speakers? Would a usb 5.1 sound card do anything do? Or buying an ASIO sound card?

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 17
bump...

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 17
Bump....

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 17
You could try repositioning the speakers. Placement is very important.

Other than that, I don't think changing the source or amp will overcome the design of the speakers. You'd be better off changing to speakers that fit your needs.

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 17
So i shouldnt change to a 5.1 sound card ? even though my speakers are 5.1?

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 17
some Realtek AC'97 cards output 5.1 audio.

a very simple step that you should do is play a test tone (preferably pink noise) and twist the speakers (move them if you have to) until the sound is nice and blended together so that you can no longer tell exactly where each speaker is located when they are all playing pink noise at the same time.

your system has a matrix option which should, at the very least, allow the back speakers to play exactly what the front speakers are playing.
i suggest you use the matrix option to help fill your room with sound.

there is a whole lot of improvement to be had by simply playing test tones and adjusting the speakers until the tone sounds like one solid beep that appears to be coming from everywhere instead of off to the side where your speaker is located.

doing this manually is somewhat the same as adjusting the angle and distance values within the THX setup console.
quite a few of the high-end electronics are now offering a feature to adjust the timing of the audio coming from the speakers so that the test tone appears to be coming from everywhere rather than distinctively being able to tell that there is a speaker in _____ direction.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 17
* Different placement
* Higher quality source files (lossless?)

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 17
I listen to FLAC audio. Would a DAC amp help? My sound card is actually a Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller. I now have my front speakers postioned so there ear level. My center speaker is now also almost close to ear level, but its mounted to the top of my monitor. The rear speakers are positioned 3 inches higher then the front and are on my left and right side, because my desk is an L shape desk. My subwoofer is on my right side, and is postioned more then a feet away from me, for a nice deep and not too "boomy" feeling. Is this good? or could i do any better?

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 17
If you are unsure about what a DAC/Amp/external sound card is and how it affects the sound, I would urge you to check out my replies in this thread.

Yes, an external DAC would help, but they are generally NOT 5.1. 

The quick and simple answer is that, in terms of value, the best solution is to.... buy new speakers. Those speakers won't sound great not matter what you plug them into. They're just not meant for critical listening.

Using any sort of amp on them would be double amping, since the speakers themselves have built in amps. Generally not recommended. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 17
For listening to music ( i prefer r&b, dance, pop) a 2.1 setup would be good enough, right? I find my 5.1 to be useless, only for gaming which i dont do. :p

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 17
Also what is so good about the foorbar ASIO setup? i only use mediamonkey+ XBS (Extra Bass Setting) + FLAC

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 17
bump

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 17
Hate to say it, but you'd probably be better off buying different speakers or building your own. No amp, DAC, sound file, or equalizer setting will improve a marginal speaker. Most computer speakers are plastic enclosures with a cheap driver or two inside. If you want a substantial upgrade, skip the computer speaker market altogether and find a pair of audiophile bookshelf speakers. I like the offerings from PSB, but there are a number of other good ones out there.

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Also what is so good about the foorbar ASIO setup? i only use mediamonkey+ XBS (Extra Bass Setting) + FLAC

Nothing wrong with that - I find ASIO makes a very marginal difference, if any. I like foobar as my media player, but if you like mediamonkey, so be it.

The issue with making a 2.1 system for computers that sounds good is getting a good crossover for the subwoofer, and amplifying all three, without having integrated amplifiers. Good powered stereo speakers can be bought from many companies, such as Audioengine and M-Audio, though I'm not sure about your price range. If you sound card has a built in crossover for a subwoofer, you can also find some decent subwoofers with integrated amplifiers.

It won't be anything like having a high quality stereo amp with a crossover and subwoofer amp, but it's at least something. If you want to buy new speakers, what is your price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back