How to make my rig "Rock"?
Jul 6, 2006 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

peelax

Head-Fier
Hi,

Firstly let me thank all the people who post here for revolutionising my headphone experience
smily_headphones1.gif

My current setup: computer -> micro DAC -> Aria -> Senn 600s (with 650 cable)

I find this setup great for "normal" music but when I turn to my collection of metal I find it lacking in some way, so much so that my listening preferences have changed more towards acoustic and electronic.

Anyway my question is this: what addition could I make to my setup to make it more at home when listening to metal? I've considered AKG 701s, or may be a dac change would help, I am intrigued by the DAC-Ah.

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated as I've been bitten by the upgrade bug
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Jul 6, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 26
I see the main component issue with your system is your headphones. The 600s aren't the greatest rock headphones. Something along the lines of a DT770 or a SR-225 will really give impactful rock. Much more than your 600s.

Jul 6, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 26
The grados sound like a good option, however I've always been put off slightly because they look uncomfortable to wear, how do they compare to senns in this respect?

How much should I be looking to pay for the 225s?

Thanks

Jul 6, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by peelax
The grados sound like a good option, however I've always been put off slightly because they look uncomfortable to wear, how do they compare to senns in this respect?

How much should I be looking to pay for the 225s?

Thanks

comfort-wise they suck... at first. Once your ear cartilage gets used to the pain its no problem at all.

Jul 6, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 26
SR225 hands down. Uncomfortable, but you get used to it. With all the headbanging going on, the pain in your neck should cover up the small pain in your ears.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 26
I think I'm pretty much sold, I must admit I very nearly went the grado route anyway when I first started out

Jul 6, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 26
I own the SR225, and I agree that they are splendid rock cans. For me, the VWAP-modded HD414 pads are the way to make them soar. I also own (and listen much of the time to) a pair of HD580's. What it took to make the HD580's rock in my rig (in my sig) was: 1) Volex 17604 power cords in whatever had an IEC AC plug - for you that would be your computer and your Aria. It's a $20 experiment, so not too bad. Just the power cords banished all traces of the Sennheiser veil in my rig, and brought a new level of impact and immediacy/intimacy to the sound. With the Volex power cords in place, I switched to the SR225's a lot less frequently.

I subsequently replaced the HD650 cable with a Cardas replacement cable, which took me to the next level of impact and immediacy of sound. With those two improvements in place, I am getting all of the gorgeous decay and soundstage that the Sennheiser 580/6XX are famous for, and a LOT of the ("eye-blinking") impact that the SR225's are famous for. But, when I am in a particularly visceral, dionesian mood, and I really need to totally ROCK OUT, I switch to the SR225's (with their particular emphasis in the upper mids) until that beast in me is satisfied (and what a magnificent beast he is).

The pair of Volex 17604's is a reasonably cheap experiment, if you like aspects of the HD600's and have a desire to keep them. The Volex PC's AND the Cardas replacement cable together would run you about what the SR225's would cost. So, if most of what you listen to would benefit from a more wail-capable sound, then I can well go along with the SR225 recommendation. If you listen to enough classical, jazz, acoustic, natural vocals, trance, techno or ambient electronica, then it's probably at least worth a shot with the Volex power cords and reassess before springing for the SR225's. Unless, of course, you've got the means to own both. I find the SR225's and the HD580's to be beautifully complementary - they are different enough to extend my range of optimal listening, and ALIKE enough that, in order to get the benefits of one, I don't have to give up TOO much of what I like in the other.

As a comfort comparison between the two phones, I'd say that the mild discomfort localized in my ears after extended listening with the SR225's is a little more bearable to me than the moderate discomfort that builds up in my upper neck from the clamping force of the HD580's.

Jul 6, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 26
me too, me too! on Grados

HD-595 if Senn

Jul 6, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

My current setup: computer -> micro DAC -> Aria -> Senn 600s (with 650 cable)

Well, I found Senn to be quite enjoyable with rocks, but Grado will definitely add sizzles to the metal.
tongue.gif
Frankly adding a dedicated CD/SACD/DVD-A player may help little bit, but upgrading your headphone would probably give you most noticeable upgrade.

So the next question is what's your budget? SR-225 would be most practical bet, but SR-325i/MS-2i may be even more aggressive upgrade. Metal Grados aren't for everyone, but it may be just a ticket for you. Of course, if you have $$$, you can go for RS-1 or RS-2.

Jul 6, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 26
Well, remember, the 325(i) is notorious for its excessive brightness heard by many...the safest Grado to start out with by far is the GS-1000. I mean, SR225
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #12 of 26
oh, yeah, and K501's [[equalized]] for Hendrix, Doors, that kinda stuff

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 26
If you really want to rock, you'll need some black lights, posters and a lighter. Then learn how to flip your hair to the music while playing air guitar.

And Grados help some, too.

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #14 of 26
I've gone backwards from a Senn 650 to MS1 for rock. The MS1 is warmer and still retains the Grado clarity. It's also very cheap. The MS1 (and Grados) are also good for listening at low volume levels which the Senns really don't do well. (with my set up anyway)

Ian

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Thanks

If you properly stretch the headband (read the instructions that come with your Grados), and once the bowls break in a little bit (it would appear that the oils from your skin soften them up with time) they are pretty comfortable. I can go 3 or 4 hours easily before I need to give my ears a 10 minute break, then I am back in action. The comfort issue in regard to Grado phones is blown WAY out of proportion IMHO. Of corse just about every headphone that rests on you ear like a Grado does will make your ears tender after a given amount of time - it is unavoidable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back