How to make DAPs Better!
Jun 8, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #16 of 34
a small, high capacity, durable, scratchproof, long-lasting battery powered player built around rockbox that supports lossless, ogg, and of course, everything else.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudonym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a small, high capacity, durable, scratchproof, long-lasting battery powered player built around rockbox that supports lossless, ogg, and of course, everything else.

x2 only thing you need to add is video. But adding a phone would really be awesome so you don't have to carry 2 things all the time. The Meizu M8 *might* be the perfect combo.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here, my desires too. It would be nice to have a super simplified DAP that only have either Line out or Optical out and generous space for future HDD upgrade - and yes MUST support all three major lossless format - be it FLAC, WMA Lossless, or ALAC - in my dream perhaps
wink.gif

I'm actually surprised... few even on this forum value sonic fidelity as much as features and storage capacity.

Its uber-safe to say a player to meet our requirements would not sell very well at all.

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #20 of 34
For me

a bigger hard drive. The 30 GB drive in my Zen is fine for now, but I'm sure I will fill it up and wishing for a bigger drive. Maybe by then, a DAP with 120GB+ storage will be offered

true output jacks. What I mean by that is getting rid of that adapter piece that comes with a lot of players (a dongle??). Just make the jacks (USB, DC in, A/V out) built into the player instead of using an adapter that could possibly get damaged. Maybe adding Blutooth would be a nice touch.

A dedicated volume button (if all players lack them) would be nice too. If I'm not in the Now Playing display, then I have to take an extra step or two to raise/lower the volume. No big thing, but it would be nice to have it on the side or something.

Of course, better internal DACs/amp would be nice too. At one time I was disappointed that FLAC and/or WMA Lossless wasn't included as a compatible formats for the Zen. Since then, that has become less of an issue (may the gods of audio forgive me). I tend to leave all the critical listening to my system downstairs.

Ah, one more thing. I don't know if this is specific with the Zen or if it's the case with all DAPs, but maybe...just maybe a RESET BUTTON THAT'S FRIGGING BIG ENOUGH TO USE AN INK PEN WOULD BE GREAT.

The second day I had my Zen, the darn thing locked up on me. I have pens and pencils all over the place and various sizes of small screws and nails in the garage, but the manual stated something as small as a hair pin should be used to reset the player. I spent an hour an a half trying to find something small enough to fit in that hole DOH!!

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #21 of 34
I would like the following:

- More hdd space, 30 gb is ot enough if you want to use the player for video too or want to use FLAC

- An industry standard connector for accessories (I mean that doesn't only work with iPods).

- Better suport for drag & drop of files.

- Easily replaceable, standardized Li-ion batteries.

- Easily upgradeable storage (compactflash or 1.6 inch hdd).

- And for the video players, a decent resolution screen and wifi access to video sites like youtube.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #22 of 34
pretty much have all been said before above, but:

mostly improved internal componentry: DAC, amp. I'd like to see someone start moving towards better audio reproduction with their DAP's, instead of away from it, like most seem to be doing.

also I'd like to see support for all commonly-used formats, including ogg & flac.

also universal connection ports used, and not proprietary: a cable is a cable, and most companies that use proporietary connections NOT named iPod, like the X5, ZVM, or the Sansa, either never made or are not making a lot of dock-speakers or other cradles for them, so I'm not sure why they are proprietary to begin with....

user replaceable, rechargeable batteries

more and better playlisting features, DJ features, and EQ-ability. Also gapless playback should be a standard. Let us play our music the way we want to play it!

everything else can be left up to the manufacturers' whims and competitiveness for market share: build quality, design styling, GUI (colour screen, album art, custom wallpapers and themes), photo & video support, wifi and/or bluetooth, games, etc. The various makers will need things to fiddle around with that can set their products apart from others. But the above IMO should be industry standards...

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #23 of 34
A hell of a lot of these things here have already been done on the Rio Karma. All that thing needed to be perfect was a true line out, smaller size and a bigger drive.

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #24 of 34
I second Kramer's thoughts.

Scrap Marketplace/Itunes and make it drag-and-drop!
and also switchable batteries would be nice.

For real, all I care about is the battery life, nothing more

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #25 of 34
Scratch resistant screens/bodies (I'm not putting touching ANYTHING to the top of my Vision: M until my BSE comes) for one thing. Also, NO DONGLES. What else...more players with removable Li-ion (or those from the future!) batteries. A feature I definitely miss from the Zen Micro. All players should also support a wide range of video formats (one of the big reasons why I got the Vision: M). Oh, and more impact-absorbing+hard shell cases.

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #26 of 34
18 gig plus flash
20+hrs aa or aaa batt powered
multi codec for video,
flac, mp3's, ogg, aac or some sort of lossless for music.
i actually purchase most of my music thankyou
durable, scratchless and huge screen
blue, wifi, and phone capable with headphone out
a nice FREE carrying case
$200 msrp

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #27 of 34
erm, keeping in mind I come from the zune:
bigger hd
a clock + alarm (I mean, really!? how on Earth can they not have that!?)
capability to browse the net on the wireless (yes I'm aware how painful that would be, but still cool)
support for lossless

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by genax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
18 gig plus flash
20+hrs aa or aaa batt powered
multi codec for video,
flac, mp3's, ogg, aac or some sort of lossless for music.
i actually purchase most of my music thankyou
durable, scratchless and huge screen
blue, wifi, and phone capable with headphone out
a nice FREE carrying case
$200 msrp

The Meizu M8 is *almost* exaclty what are asking for! It is due out Q4 of this year, see specs here. Pics are currently on the home page of that website.

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #29 of 34
use freaking AA batteries.

my iriver ifp-799 uses them. i get 30+ hours on 1 AA. it is rated at 40 hour battery life. and when one dies, i swap. i'm never out of batteries or power.

i just can't understand how people would stand for anything under 20 hours.

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #30 of 34
A small (iPod nano sized) DAP, with these features:
* 30GB+ flash memory.
* Built in high quality amplifier (on par with the RSA Tomahawk).
* 200 hours+ battery time.
* Digital output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back