How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Jul 23, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #871 of 1,012
Using exotic materials really only helps you in the last 10% or so of audio quality (OK maybe 20% hehe).

If you're going to make your first interconnect, use the cheapest parts you can find for the practice. Get the connectors from radio shack and use that cat5 you have laying around. How will it sound? It won't be the best thing you've ever heard, but if you haven't heard a high end cable, you may not notice a difference.

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #878 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Are you sure? I just ordered the 1/4 for Mogami. Do you think I am better off with the 3/16?

100% sure.
ph34r.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #880 of 1,012
Hey guys, just reposting this from the other thread (as this thread is more appropriate).

Anyway I'm building a DT250 straight cable using these:

- Mogami 2893 Minature Quad 4.8 OD cable
- Beyer 7pin adaptor
- Neutrik NP3X-B 3-Pole Stereo 1/4"

I've been told that you can't really fit techflex under the NP3X with the Mog 2893 cable, but I'm thinking - any way I can make this work by heat shrinking over the jack plug and cable?

The other issue is that I can't find 3/16" sleeving in aus - I've got a choice between 6mm (1/4") and 3mm (1/8")... Or should I not bother with this unless I can find 3/16" sleeving?

Also should I use 10mm (2:1) heat shrink for this?

Big Thanks! I apologise for all the noob questions, it's my first time making a cable (my dad will help with the soldering as he is pro).

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #881 of 1,012
The 1/8" flex will be tighter on the 2893 but still easily doable.
It actually looks pretty nice on the colored Mogami as it shows thru o(^-^)o

I live in AU as well so I feel your pain... Wirecare's shipping on Nylon Multi style pain.

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #882 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1/8" flex will be tighter on the 2893 but still easily doable.
It actually looks pretty nice on the colored Mogami as it shows thru o(^-^)o

I live in AU as well so I feel your pain... Wirecare's shipping on Nylon Multi style pain.

Alrite, I'm going to order 1/8" from Gammod then
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #883 of 1,012
I'm new here and to the whole headphone scene, I recently got my first mp3 player, headphone amp, IEMs and am really enjoying it so far. Now, I think I want to try my hand at building an interconnect for them.

I just ordered some canare mini star quad to do my first DIY mini to mini cable but am unsure of how to solder the mini star quad, is it the same as the regular star quad, being four conductors...two go to ground and one each to the left and right, and cut off the sheilding on the ends? Or, do I use two conductors on each, left and right, and use the sheilding as the ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back