How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Sep 21, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #211 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
with the y connector for split cables, if you are using four conductor wire, after you split off the two pairs, would you then sleeve the pairs in heat shrink?

i did,

Oct 7, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #213 of 1,012
While brschmid's guide suggests using only a stranded conductor for ground and leaving the shield unconnected and Voodoochile recommends using both a stranded conductor and, on the source side, connecting the shield to ground, Canare's catalog says something different. On page 35, they show both white conductors carrying one signal, both blue carrying the other and only the shield carrying the ground to "maximize noise rejection."

http://www.canare.com/files/Cat11_p35.pdf

This looks like a balanced cable, but wouldn't this also apply to a stereo cable as well? As for an RCA-RCA cable, one pair should be used for signal and the shield for ground, but the other pair? Signal, ground or nothing?

Finally, would it be better to construct a mini-RCA cable with three pieces of Star Quad so that all sections are shielded?

Thanks,
Brian

Oct 7, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #214 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by deunhido
While brschmid's guide suggests using only a stranded conductor for ground and leaving the shield unconnected and Voodoochile recommends using both a stranded conductor and, on the source side, connecting the shield to ground, Canare's catalog says something different. On page 35, they show both white conductors carrying one signal, both blue carrying the other and only the shield carrying the ground to "maximize noise rejection."

http://www.canare.com/files/Cat11_p35.pdf

This looks like a balanced cable, but wouldn't this also apply to a stereo cable as well? As for an RCA-RCA cable, one pair should be used for signal and the shield for ground, but the other pair? Signal, ground or nothing?

Finally, would it be better to construct a mini-RCA cable with three pieces of Star Quad so that all sections are shielded?

Thanks,
Brian

it really is up to you as far as what you want to do.

I have had no problems with noise or shielding in any of my cables, i have been building them lately with Voodo's shielding braid method.

and using the braid for the ground signal would work pretty good, IMHO.

as far as the mini-RCA, i like my method, with the few inches that isn't shielded i don't have noise problems. and if you use multiple pieces of StarQuad or some other 4 conductor cable, you are going to have to cut off the shielding at the source end because there is no way you are going to be able to fit all the pieces into a connector.

Oct 9, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #215 of 1,012
Dammit! My 1/8 mini to 2 RCA cable I just made is out-of-phase! What did I do wrong?

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #216 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
Dammit! My 1/8 mini to 2 RCA cable I just made is out-of-phase! What did I do wrong?

Swapped signal and ground connections? How do you know it's out of phase?

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #217 of 1,012
It sounds like it's out of phase. I can hear the difference. I'm going to tear it apart and start over...
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by deunhido
Swapped signal and ground connections? How do you know it's out of phase?

Oct 15, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #218 of 1,012
Westlake Electronics doesn't sell gold plated switchcraft plugs
frown.gif

i ordered some on monday and they came today. even though they are shown on their website as goldplated, they aren't
frown.gif
I am pissed now, just a heads up.

Oct 19, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #221 of 1,012
Switchcrafts gold plating isn't all that hot either, I just got some XLRs from them and the plating is very spotted/uneven in places. This will probably be the first time and the last time I'll use switchcraft, from now on only Neutrik and Canare.

Oct 19, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #222 of 1,012
hey guys how do you make a y cable for a subwoofer.

i have no idea what type of cable to use for this.

i'll be using canare lv-77s for the mono part.

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #223 of 1,012
If I'm going to be making an RCA to 1/4 Phone for amp to emu and wanted to use Canare SQ, could I use 2 wires as ground and 2 wires as signal (one channel) without any anomalies?

Or should I just use L-2T2s Single Pair Mic Cable? L-2T2S does have lower capacitance which is good for ICs.

Oct 21, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #224 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROTAK
hey guys how do you make a y cable for a subwoofer.

i have no idea what type of cable to use for this.

i'll be using canare lv-77s for the mono part.

By "Y cable", do you mean a single-to-double-RCA adapter like this? That'd be a simple matter of connecting two RCA jacks to a single RCA plug, and adding some strain relief.

Or do you mean a stereo-to-mono adapter? That sort of thing, I believe, is more complicated, so that you don't have the amp outputs trying to drive each other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moskau
If I'm going to be making an RCA to 1/4 Phone for amp to emu and wanted to use Canare SQ, could I use 2 wires as ground and 2 wires as signal (one channel) without any anomalies?

Or should I just use L-2T2s Single Pair Mic Cable? L-2T2S does have lower capacitance which is good for ICs.

Double-ground, double-signal starquad will work, but I would try the mic cable, myself. Starquad's capacitance is really high, and I've personally moved to making pairs of single-channel RCAs with lower capacitance wire instead and have generally been much happier with the results.

Oct 21, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #225 of 1,012
Here's a semi-hypothetical question: When you're making a headphone cable (or extension cable), is it better to use a cable/geometry that minimizes capacitance, as if it were an interconnect, or inductance, as if it were a speaker cable?

I would assume you would want to model it after a speaker cable, since it's going to be long and drivers sit at the end of it, but on the other hand, it'll be carrying much less power than any speaker cable would. I'm not exactly sure how inductance affects a speaker cable's signal, though, so I can't really make an educated guess here. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back