How to look after Universal IEMs on a daily basis?
Jul 21, 2016 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

redstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Im planning on getting some high end universal IEMs (undecided on what, im keen to read more on the Noble Katanas and also looking at CA Andromedas) and im curious as to how others look after theirs.

I currently have some cheap in ears, that i just gather up and put into my hoody pocket after work. When i use them again, there usually tangled due to this. As there cheap, i dont worry too much about them.
Obviously when I get an expensive pair, i wont be doing this.

Is there any advice how too look after a good pair, is there any cases that one would recommend.
The iems would probably be detachable, so i guess a case that i can wrap the cable around or something along those lines?

Any advice would be smashing
Thanks.

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 14
I would recommend you to not jump from crappy earbuds to high end IEM's (such as the Noble's). Find out what sound you like with entry-level pairs and then go from there. Start with $100 ones like the RHA MA750 or SE215, and you can sell them and buy something that sounds different.
The process sounds tedious but the last thing you want is to have really expensive earphones and not like the sound signature.
Also, detachable cables are for easy replacements after it breaks.
Have fun in your audiophile journey! :wink:

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Im planning on getting some high end universal IEMs (undecided on what, im keen to read more on the Noble Katanas and also looking at CA Andromedas) and im curious as to how others look after theirs.

I currently have some cheap in ears, that i just gather up and put into my hoody pocket after work. When i use them again, there usually tangled due to this. As there cheap, i dont worry too much about them.
Obviously when I get an expensive pair, i wont be doing this.

Is there any advice how too look after a good pair, is there any cases that one would recommend.
The iems would probably be detachable, so i guess a case that i can wrap the cable around or something along those lines?

Any advice would be smashing

First off, get a case. I keep most of my IEMs in a tiny Tenba Vector pouch (looks like a bag, but originally designed for lens filters and memory cards) along with a silica gel pack. When space isn't a premium in my bag, I carry my Aurisonics ASG-1.3 in the newer Aurisonics case. It originally came with the old, plain, transparent Otterbox case, but as much as I kept in there when not wearing them, the shells cracked - could have been a combination of humidity and getting tossed around in that case. The new case has a soft interior lining. so this isn't a problem. The nice thing about such cases is that they're water tight for some time (we get strong monsoon rains here; on top of that, all my bags are Timbuk2 and Crumpler), and they're also crush-proof - the downside is they take up a lot of space. Absolutely not pocketable unless you wear the ghetto pants that makes you look like an elephant.

Second, I twist the cable around two fingers right before I slip them into either container. I also avoid zipper containers, because one moment that I rushed, I managed to tear the cable on my Shure E2C before. With the flap on the lens filter pouch  it won't be a problem at all, and even the clamshell hardcase will just not close if the cable's in the way.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 14
mmm......my advice is the opposite. I encourage you to jump from cheapass in-ears to high-end. Skip the intermediate stuff and save yourself some bucks in the process.  Noble is a very good brand and there are tons of reviews of their products here at headfi.org. A very good high-end iem is worth a dozen of the cheap stuff and it goes a long, long way in curing upgraditis. Stop compromising if you have the disposable income  and if you think you deserve better. Go Noble or Empire Ears or similar. Go for the most that your wallet allows and enjoy the hell out of your music. Pamper yourself and enjoy while your ears still can. Time will come when hearing loss may be a problem for you. What then? Too late, right? 

I started my journey 3 years ago with the Apple earbuds . My only regret is I did not start sooner.

Re: daily care.  Store your iem in a suitable air-tight/water-tight container at home (a cheap plastic container will do)  and put a moisture absorbent in it. Wipe the crap out of your in-ears after every use. Remove the eartips and clean it with alcohol (if it is silicone). For on the go storage, there is nothing better than a Pelican case. Noble, Empire Ears, Fitear etc. use Pelican or a customized version of Pelican. Best customized Pelican case is from Empire Ears.

P.S. And, yes, audition (a lot!)  before deciding.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 14
  mmm......my advice is the opposite. I encourage you to jump from cheapass in-ears to high-end. Skip the intermediate stuff and save yourself some bucks in the process.  Noble is a very good brand and there are tons of reviews of their products here at headfi.org. A very good high-end iem is worth a dozen of the cheap stuff and it goes a long, long way in curing upgraditis. Stop compromising if you have the disposable income  and if you think you deserve better. Go Noble or Empire Ears or similar. Go for the most that your wallet allows and enjoy the hell out of your music. Pamper yourself and enjoy while your ears still can. Time will come when hearing loss may be a problem for you. What then? Too late, right? 

I started my journey 3 years ago with the Apple earbuds . My only regret is I did not start sooner.

Re: daily care.  Store your iem in a suitable air-tight/water-tight container at home (a cheap plastic container will do)  and put a moisture absorbent in it. Wipe the crap out of your in-ears after every use. Remove the eartips and clean it with alcohol (if it is silicone). For on the go storage, there is nothing better than a Pelican case. Noble, Empire Ears, Fitear etc. use Pelican or a customized version of Pelican. Best customized Pelican case is from Empire Ears.

P.S. And, yes, audition (a lot!)  before deciding.

So let's say he decides to buy the Noble K10U, and finds out he doesn't like the bassy dark sound signature. He'll have to sell it, losing at least a couple hundred dollars. Why not just experiment with a little before you screw up?
Why not learn to walk before you run?

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 14
mmm......that's why I advised him to audition (a lot!) before purchasing. Not just Noble but all the brands or models that he is able to audition. He can take your approach. He can take mine. Also, he's been a member of headfi.org since 2009. He is DEFINITELY not a newbie. Backread his posts (he has an audeze LCD X, an AK, Burson Conductor SL etc.). I think he knows exactly what he wants.

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 14
This will protect any iem.

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 14
  mmm......that's why I advised him to audition (a lot!) before purchasing. Not just Noble but all the brands or models that he is able to audition. He can take your approach. He can take mine. Also, he's been a member of headfi.org since 2009. He is not a newbie. Backread his posts (he has an audeze, an AK etc.). I think he knows exactly what he wants.

The thing is, I thought I liked the V-shaped sound signature until several months later, I found out I like the neutral/mid-centric sound. Going to an event and taking a few minutes on each headphone isn't the best approach IMO.
From the original post it sounded like he is a complete newbie getting into the audiophile scene. I mean, why would you use crap earphones if you have high-end headphones? And then I realized he's just looking for IEM's, and his full sized headphone setup is somewhat complete. So I guess he can go for the high-end IEM's if that works for him?

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for the reply all, very much appreciated. 

I came across the below image. Regarding the disc shaped object, is this a device to wrap the cable around (with IEMs detached) to keep them tidy/untangled?
If so where can I find something like this? Has it go a specific name? I like the idea of something to wrap cables around and hold them securly.

Is the Empire Aegis case a good pelican to go for?

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 14
mmm.....headphone cable organizer:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xheadphone+cable+organize.TRS0&_nkw=headphone+cable+organizer&_sacat=0

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 14
Candy containers will protect the cable and iem, wont look expensive so no one will be tempted to steal it and its free.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 14
mmm.......if you do not want to be bothered with winding/unwinding/attaching/detaching (side note: I really hate the industry-standard 2-pin, prefer mmcx or fitear) , just use an Altoids can  or a Pelican and chuck it in, earphones and cable. It is no big deal. Just make sure you insert a small piece of bubble wrap on the Altoids to absorb shocks from unintended drops specially with balanced armature receivers.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #14 of 14
Does a cable organiser work well in everyday situations, or is it more annoying to use?

No need to use those, just wind the cable around four fingers (I space them out a bit too, depending on the big the case is) and put the IEMs in the middle or to the side of the cable. When you use them, pick up the IEMs first, and then the cable will coil up with it, untangled.
Should I provide pictures? Or did I explain it well enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back