How to know if my setup is good (HD800S)?
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

zakazak

Head-Fier
I just got my HD800S and want to completely re-new my setup for them.

I thought about getting:
  1. Pro-Ject Audio: Power Box DS2 Sources (Power Supply)
  2. Pro-Ject Audio: DAC Box DS2 Ultra (DAC)
  3. Pro-Ject Audio: Head Box DS2 B (SS Amp)
  4. Feliks Audio: Elise (Tube Amp)
As I can't really find any reviews of the Pro-Ject devices I wonder if there is a way for myself to figure out if they are good or not. I don't really have anything I can compare it with. So far I only used NFB 12.1 with HD600.

So is there a way to "test" the components for their quality?

The other option would be to go for the Multibit Bifrost + Ragnarok....

Dec 27, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 15
I got this lil red tube amp hybrid from loxjie p20 that sounds really good with my hd600's balanced. the cost wont break the bank and it does really sound good. I have geshili labs enog2 balanced dac

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 15
I just got my HD800S and want to completely re-new my setup for them.

I thought about getting:
  1. Pro-Ject Audio: Power Box DS2 Sources (Power Supply)
  2. Pro-Ject Audio: DAC Box DS2 Ultra (DAC)
  3. Pro-Ject Audio: Head Box DS2 B (SS Amp)
  4. Feliks Audio: Elise (Tube Amp)
As I can't really find any reviews of the Pro-Ject devices I wonder if there is a way for myself to figure out if they are good or not. I don't really have anything I can compare it with. So far I only used NFB 12.1 with HD600.

So is there a way to "test" the components for their quality?

The other option would be to go for the Multibit Bifrost + Ragnarok....
I realize it’s been a year since you posted this but wondering if you got an answer? My setup is very close to what you described, and I’m very happy with it - particularly when you add the DS2 sources box for power. The hand-wrapped solenoid is something to behold, and produces super clean DC power to run the amp (et al). The Head Box DS2 B is plenty of power to drive anything on the market and allows you to adjust current. The high setting would have no problem with your HD800S.

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 15
I realize it’s been a year since you posted this but wondering if you got an answer? My setup is very close to what you described, and I’m very happy with it - particularly when you add the DS2 sources box for power. The hand-wrapped solenoid is something to behold, and produces super clean DC power to run the amp (et al). The Head Box DS2 B is plenty of power to drive anything on the market and allows you to adjust current. The high setting would have no problem with your HD800S.

From the manufacturer's site "2 x 550 mW (in 33 Ohms, both channels driven)"

The careful reader will come to his own conclusions...

Feb 21, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 15
An even more careful reader would note that’s the low current setting’s power rating, with gain set at 0db...

I did not see that on the product page and you did not cite the claimed max. output if what I posted is not it. But even if it would provide twice the power it's still not enough for Sennheiser 600s, let alone 800s.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #7 of 15
I did not see that on the product page and you did not cite the claimed max. output if what I posted is not it. But even if it would provide twice the power it's still not enough for Sennheiser 600s, let alone 800s.
Yes hello again new internet troll friend. Thank you for sending me the results of your google search. It is invaluable information. The high current setting at max gain is enough to make my entire head shake using my neighbor’s HD800s. Pro-Ject does not publish the max power rating, so you got me there. I’m got. I guess I’ll just have to explain to my actual eardrums that are listening to my actual setup that this site’s biggest troll says that what they’re experiencing isn’t real because his google says so.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 15
Yes hello again new internet troll friend. Thank you for sending me the results of your google search. It is invaluable information. The high current setting at max gain is enough to make my entire head shake using my neighbor’s HD800s. Pro-Ject does not publish the max power rating, so you got me there. I’m got. I guess I’ll just have to explain to my actual eardrums that are listening to my actual setup that this site’s biggest troll says that what they’re experiencing isn’t real because his google says so.

I don't think your troll comments are fair - he was giving you a fair assessment.

I completely agree, they'll play on any amp but the sound of hd800s fills out with a more powerful amp.

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 15
I don't think your troll comments are fair - he was giving you a fair assessment.

I completely agree, they'll play on any amp but the sound of hd800s fills out with a more powerful amp.

This is the thing. A lot of people run 800s or 820s off DAPs or weak amps and they think because the volume is sufficient everything is ok.

They don't realize how much difference quality power makes with Sennheisers and how well they scale. They are really shorting themselves by trying to save money on amps with a great set of cans.

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 15
Having had a hd800s and now a hd800 with sdr mod ive tried a lot of DACs and amps to find the sound I want, including a project dac box rs. I’m currently running a Schiit gungnir a1 dac with two Different Bottlehead amps, a crack and a mainline. Having heard the crack tube amps with the 800 I’ll never go back. They pair very very well, and it was exactly what I was looking for. I would recommend a crack to try out tube sound.

Mar 16, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 15
This is expected. All the higher-end Sennies are happier with OTL amps and need to be driven correctly.

Mar 16, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 15
800s has pretty crazy dynamic and finesses. So as long as your brains are thinking that it lacks slam or bass, then it isn’t driving correctly. At least from 80% capabilities, you should not lack either, and it gets better from there

Mar 16, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #13 of 15
My ADI-2 DAC FS seems to drive my HD800S well. Can drive it down below 17 Hz audibly, but at that point anything above 30 Hz or so will make you go deaf.

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 15
This is the thing. A lot of people run 800s or 820s off DAPs or weak amps and they think because the volume is sufficient everything is ok.

They don't realize how much difference quality power makes with Sennheisers and how well they scale. They are really shorting themselves by trying to save money on amps with a great set of cans.

For sure, the only way to see how well a particular system performs is to compare it with a better system. I have used the iFi Micro BL with the HD800S for quite a while and always find the system lacking something. Not to mention about the loudness since the iFi drives the HD800S just fine. The problem is the quality of sound, as it is always felt constrained with the iFi to me. Changing it to HDV820 makes a clear improvement, with much better sound stage and precision. HD800S + HDV820 is a reference that you should hear first before trying any Amps + DACs with the HD800S. And furthermore, technical test of headphone won't show you how good a system sounds, you must hear it to feel it.

Mar 20, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #15 of 15
HDV820 is all you need...and an exquisite source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back