How to know if it's a scam?
Jun 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

y3110w

100+ Head-Fier
I posted my PSP in craigslist for around $180, I said I'm willing to ship in the conus or pick up at my house. Someone responded today asking if I'm willing to ship it abroad for $280 and he's paying paypal. Thing is I haven't had any experience or knowledge shipping abroad besides to my own family. I'm going to ask later where specifically he wants it shipped to. What signs or questions could I ask to see if he is a scammer and I'm just sending my PSP for nothing. Here's the email he sent me. Sorry I had to make a new thread, it's just that I guess I became paranoid with all the stories I've heard around here.
redface.gif

btw, I'm going out right now so I might not be able to respond to the thread.
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 21
Just be certain to have the cash in your hand before you ship - there is no better protection.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 21
Find out where 'abroad' is....Nigeria etc? Forget it.

And his email is poorly written & not very detailed. I'd be wary....

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 21
Paypal is really no good for international sales, as you are not protected if the sale does not go as planned. As such, I would not recommend it. If you want to go through with it, though, just make sure that you have the money before you do anything.

Also, see the craigslist warning, where it says "avoid cross border deals". I would take the advice.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 21
This is a scam. The person could be in England or another European country, but they probably want you to ship to a 'brother', 'gf,' or other 'relative' someplace in Africa.

Don't do it! Paypal can charge you back if their payment is fraudulent.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 21
If you are willing to ship it then sell it on ebay instead.

You have no seller protection on craigslist. They even tell you to never ship anything, only pick up.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, see the craigslist warning, where it says "avoid cross border deals". I would take the advice.

Yes indeed, the generous offer is probably intended to suck you in. Stay local.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paypal is really no good for international sales, as you are not protected if the sale does not go as planned. As such, I would not recommend it. If you want to go through with it, though, just make sure that you have the money before you do anything.

Yeah, I agree with this as well. Craigslist is subdivided locally for a reason: there is no protection built into private paypal transactions when the sale is international. The only way you can be sure is if you do a snail-mail address verification AND request payment by money order.

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 21
First link in google.

You can do this for pretty much anything that seems to be a scam reply, and usually if it seems to good to be true, it is.

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 21
Anyone offering more than the asking price is a scammer. The PayPal account is likely hijacked and you'll get a chargeback after you ship. Don't do it.

If you want to have a little fun with the guy, check out the 419 baiter/scambaiter sites. Some of them are hysterical.

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 21
Thank you all for the replies. Just got back from a Phoenix mini-concert(they are awesome!), shipping the item was a last resort so I did hope to just have it picked up. I did think the offer was way too much so I went and asked here since I trust most of you. Ah, well I guess there is a sucker born every minute, too bad for him there's great people 'round here to help.

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #15 of 21
It's definitely a scam. The point of Craigslist is to be able to sell face to face, and get cash.

They will probably say, OK cool, now that you are onboard, click this link to claim your paypal.

There will probably be a paypal link, but if you hover it, you'll see it goes to something that looks like paypal, like paypalinc.com or something stupid like that...

Just pass. Always just pass on CL. I tried selling an EEEPC on CL a while back, and it was just a nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back