How to Know if Apple Dual-Driver IEMs Are Legit or Not in Ebay?
Feb 14, 2012 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ChristmaSFnatic

100+ Head-Fier
Does a positive/top seller guarantees a legit one? Cuz I read its a good IEM if bought at $30-40, but not original price. And only in ebay can I find such. So many though that I dont wanna risk being fooled.

THANKS!

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 12
If on ebay they are from China especially Hong Kong they will almost always be fakes.  The same goes for ATH-ES9W and many Sony IEM products.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 12
As someone who just bought a pair off eBay (haven't received them in the mail yet), I can tell you the best bet is to avoid the auctions that use a stock picture.  Typically those sellers will be from China, where, as already said, the iems will be fake.  The main things to look for are feedback, location of seller, picture of item (were they bothered to actually take a picture of the headphones), and item description(is there anything typed up by the seller, or did they just copy and paste the specs of the headphone for the description).  Plus look at the prices.  If it its super cheap there is a chance they're fake (especially Buy It Now item listings). 

Possible fake auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-box-In-Ear-Earphone-Headphones-Apple-iphone-4-ipod-touch-4G-/250995523470?pt=AU_Electronics_Portable_Audio_Accessories&hash=item3a707fbf8e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Apple-In-Ear-Earphone-Headphones-iphone-ipod-touch-4G-/180819820630?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2a19b38056

Possible legit auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-In-Ear-Headphones-/270913868762?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3f13b993da

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-In-Ear-Headphones-Remote-and-Mic-NEVER-USED-No-Packaging-/150756965962?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2319d0be4a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MA850G-B-In-Ear-Headphones-Remote-and-Mic-NEW-/190638745377?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2c62f46721

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 12
There is no way to know for sure whether or not an IEM is real or fake on EBay.  Although a higher rating does tend to give a higher chance at being the real deal, there is always that chance that it isn't.  Read the feedback and make your decision.  If all else does fail, just buy the thing from Apple (I myself see the ADDIEM worth it's price, but not much more; I honestly wouldn't pay over 100 for them personally, but 80 is fine in my opinion).

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 12
The ADDIEM and S4i have really different sound - the ADDIEM is very analytical, with a balanced signature. The S4i's on the other hand are extremely bassy - it can be overwhelming at times.

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
The ADDIEM and S4i have really different sound - the ADDIEM is very analytical, with a balanced signature. The S4i's on the other hand are extremely bassy - it can be overwhelming at times.

Overwhelming as in it will drown the rest of the sound?

And ADDIEM, sincde you said its very analytical, how does it compare to MC5 or HF5? Does it have more bass? And is it a HUGE improvement over regular Apple earphones?

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 12
Well... yeah. The mids and highs get mushy (occasionally). Usually it's not a problem but these headphones always scream "bass"

I'm not really sure how they sound compared to the MC5 (which is more of a price competitor) but I think ADDIEMs are a bit more treble-forward (there's a tad of coloring), like MC5's will come across to you as clean and very neutral. I don't really think they're too bassy but I think a tad more then like MC5's. Are they a huge improvement over Apple earbuds? Well, two very different form factors. As far as the sound goes, I can say they're a pretty big improvement, but whether they're an $80 improvement -- that's up for debate.

Quote:

And ADDIEM, sincde you said its very analytical, how does it compare to MC5 or HF5? Does it have more bass? And is it a HUGE improvement over regular Apple earphones?

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
t

Comparison to the HF5:
  1. Bass: ADDIEMs have a larger bass body, which is something that the HFs are missing.  This creates a much better bass presence along with slightly better body.  Impact-wise, the HF5s have slightly better impact, while the ADDIEMs still have more quantity in this area.  Overall, I do think that the added body on the ADDIEMs does make them have the edge on the HF5s.
  2. Mids: Two different presentations, preference really draws in here.  The HF5s really just throw everything at you and shove it in your face.  They are energetic and powerful.  The ADDIEMs have the energy and power without throwing everything in your face, but also can have a slight sibilance to them in the vocals at times while the HF5s handle sibilant tracks slightly better than the HF5s.  HF5s win...  Hands down here.
  3. Highs: Again, different presentations, this time, they go in the opposite direction.  The ADDIEMs are more laid back and relaxed, but still try to push out the sparkle.  This can lead to slight sibilance along with some smearing.  Overall the energy and detail is still presented nicely.  The HF5s can really be overkill at times with the highs being slightly too aggressive.  No sibilance, or smearing is present though as it really rides high with energy, detail, and clarity throughout.  HF5s win this round as well.

Even through all this though, I preferred the ADDIEMs bodied bass over the HF5s almost-anemic bass.  It really comes down to a preference of signature. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Well... yeah. The mids and highs get mushy (occasionally). Usually it's not a problem but these headphones always scream "bass"

I'm not really sure how they sound compared to the MC5 (which is more of a price competitor) but I think ADDIEMs are a bit more treble-forward (there's a tad of coloring), like MC5's will come across to you as clean and very neutral. I don't really think they're too bassy but I think a tad more then like MC5's. Are they a huge improvement over Apple earbuds? Well, two very different form factors. As far as the sound goes, I can say they're a pretty big improvement, but whether they're an $80 improvement -- that's up for debate.

Quote:
Comparison to the HF5:
  1. Bass: ADDIEMs have a larger bass body, which is something that the HFs are missing.  This creates a much better bass presence along with slightly better body.  Impact-wise, the HF5s have slightly better impact, while the ADDIEMs still have more quantity in this area.  Overall, I do think that the added body on the ADDIEMs does make them have the edge on the HF5s.
  2. Mids: Two different presentations, preference really draws in here.  The HF5s really just throw everything at you and shove it in your face.  They are energetic and powerful.  The ADDIEMs have the energy and power without throwing everything in your face, but also can have a slight sibilance to them in the vocals at times while the HF5s handle sibilant tracks slightly better than the HF5s.  HF5s win...  Hands down here.
  3. Highs: Again, different presentations, this time, they go in the opposite direction.  The ADDIEMs are more laid back and relaxed, but still try to push out the sparkle.  This can lead to slight sibilance along with some smearing.  Overall the energy and detail is still presented nicely.  The HF5s can really be overkill at times with the highs being slightly too aggressive.  No sibilance, or smearing is present though as it really rides high with energy, detail, and clarity throughout.  HF5s win this round as well.

Even through all this though, I preferred the ADDIEMs bodied bass over the HF5s almost-anemic bass.  It really comes down to a preference of signature. 

Thanks guys, now Im confused. Get S4i online(again Im from Philippines) - with shipping, it will cost me $90-$100. Get ADDIEMs which is at a local iStore, around $90+ as well($100 at most). Or get HF3 online, with shipping, around $140. lol. If only I got prior experience.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 12
I do not know what is currently available on eBay, but I was able to buy a pair of lightly used ADDIEM's with the case & tips for $19.95 plus shipping from a local seller here in the USA.  They appeared to be near-new.   This seller was also offering a mix of used Apple peripherals and accessories, so maybe you might look for a similar situation.  I bought them as back-ups for travel and find them to be surprisingly good -- not the ultimate in isolation, but a very well balanced and detailed sound.  I agree with the previous poster who said that any of these from HK or PRC are certainly fugazi's, so steer clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back