How to Keep Phones Happy & Dust Free?
Sep 4, 2009 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dissembled

Headphoneus Supremus
How do you store your phones so dust doesn't get into the holes of the grilles? I'm getting my brand new spanking AD900s soon and want a suitable way of storing them.

Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 9
If you're very fussy, you might also consider getting something that blows a stream of air to clean off dust. Rather than canned air, which runs out, I invested $12 in a Giotto Rocket Blaster (yup, that's the name). It's used by photographers to clean lenses, cameras, and other gear. The GRB is a sophisticated rubber bulb device shaped like a rocket, about 6" long. J&R has them in stock.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 9
I keep mine in a bag, but I don't think that dust is really a huge issue.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mingde10467 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're very fussy, you might also consider getting something that blows a stream of air to clean off dust. Rather than canned air, which runs out, I invested $12 in a Giotto Rocket Blaster (yup, that's the name). It's used by photographers to clean lenses, cameras, and other gear. The GRB is a sophisticated rubber bulb device shaped like a rocket, about 6" long. J&R has them in stock.

Actually, I have that. I'll be sure to turn the cans upside down so the dust would be blown downwards, thanks.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 9
I guess this is easier for me since I only have one pair of home cans, but I simply put my HD600 back into its box after every use. If there is no box for the cans, I'd just hang it on the headphone stand and cover them with a cloth of some sort. For portable cans, I'd just put them back into the bag whenever I'm done with them, instead of walking around with them hung around my neck. Also, it helps to clean/vacuum your room often
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Don't put them into an airtight bag. If they're damp from being worn, they'll turn musty or moldy if not allowed to dry. You migh promote corrosion of metal bits, as well.

Also, is dust really a threat to headphones? Not really. It accumulates and doesn't look great, but it doesn't hurt them. When I clean, I like to use one of rhe cheapie pantbrushes from Home Depot. Disposable ones are fine - you'll see bins of them at something like 19 cents each. One will last you a long time and they do a great job. For hard-to-reach places, I use the desoldering bulb. Those are just a few dollars at Radio Shack.

I don't like compressed air. It usually comes out at high pressure and I'd worry about it accidentally tearing a driver or surround. An air bulb lets you control airflow much better.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 9
Here's my plastic bag mod to my Sennheiser HH-10 stand.

Step 1: tear a tiny hole in the bottom of a plastic bag
Step 2: put headphone holder section of the HH-10 in plastic bag, thread the knob that joins with the clamp section through the hole in the plastic bag
Step 3: assemble HH-10 as per normal

Bottom of bag remains open for ventilation, bag prevents dust from settling on the top.

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Takes all of a minute.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back