How to insert tubes in amps..
Dec 18, 2010 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dayamax

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just got my new Schiit Valhalla. I have never used a tube amp before (this is the first time I've seen a vacuum tube). I'm not sure about how I should insert them in the amp. Am I supposed to hear a clicking sound or something when the tube is properly inserted in the holder ? Right now, I have just put the tubes in the holders, and they are not glowing when I turn the amp on. Am I supposed to push them inside ? 

EDIT: Nvm.. I figured it out.. I am stupid.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 18
The tubes should only go in one way, and this you can figure out by a missing pin, or a small plastic knob that will only fit into the socket one way.  Push the tubes down with some force, ever so slightly rocking the tube back and forth, or in a slightly circular motion.  You may think your using to much force for a little glass tube, but the tubes will slide into their sockets before they break under your force.  Hope that helps.

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Quote:
thanks kboe.. I did just that, and its working now :)

So how does it sound?

Well all I can say is that I was a skeptic, but now I'm a believer. Amps do make a very pronounced difference in SQ (atleast on the HD650s). I was running them straight from my laptop headphone out earlier. I don't know how to describe sound, but one major difference is that the bass was kind of all over and boomy earlier, and now its very controlled. Mids and highs were recessed (I couldn't hear guitars over the loud bass), and now they have just the right amount of bite.

There is no tube rolling in Valhalla.

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 18
Amps control the drivers. If there isn't enough power supply to do that, your drivers will move but the low end will suck the most supply and dominate the presentation. When there is ample reserves, the driver follows the signal more accurately. The presentation balances out, bass is focused and details are presented with less db. Soundstage stays coherent with complex dynamics.

Welcome to the joy of discovery.

Dec 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Amps control the drivers. If there isn't enough power supply to do that, your drivers will move but the low end will suck the most supply and dominate the presentation. When there is ample reserves, the driver follows the signal more accurately. The presentation balances out, bass is focused and details are presented with less db. Soundstage stays coherent with complex dynamics.

Yes that is almost exactly how I would describe it.. Thanks for pointing it out so well.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Once again, This is why I voted Happy Camper as one of my favorite Head- Fi writers in a post awhile back!!!    He knows his stuff and has a great sense of humor, more importantly HC knows when to use "IT"........
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 18
I like that, sounds right but i have a question, why with the HD800s does an inadequate amp give a very lacking bass.  If the bass was sucking up all the power, then the detail would go and the bass would stay.  Otherwise i like the answer.  A bit confused on it with those though.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 18

A brighter sounding headphone like the 800, especially with the stock cable, will usually sound detailed.  This is a side effect of more treble energy that seems more transparent.  I myself happen to like a brighter signature, but taste vary.

Dec 19, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 18
The driver demands all the current to move it to the excursion distances necessary for the low frequency energy. Since there isn't enough current to do it adequately, it also uses more current to try and stop them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back