How to get warmer..
Nov 25, 2008 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

sonci

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I have an AMD system, EMU1212M as a source, a pair of Kef iQ3(bookshelves.)connected to Denon ampl(PMA700).
The sound is very detailed and clear, but after listening for some minutes, I just get tired. I feel, theres a lack of lows, especially at low volumes.
Do you think getting a subwoofer would upgrade the musicality of the system?
I use winamp with ASIO, what about upsampling? I wish I dont have to buy an external DAC, the EMU is still a new buy for me.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 32
What about lying some carpets on the floor?!!
Do they really influence?

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 32
An external DAC, especially a nice one, will dramatically improve the sound. But if you're looking for a thicker bottom end with more warmth, I think a subwoofer might be just what you need. Not anything big and boomy, just something modest that'll give you the sound you're looking for while staying tight and articulate.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 32
I agree about the DAC. I could definitely recommend Headroom's Ultra Micro DAC as a slightly warmer-than-neutral source.

But as I myself have a queue of "When I've got the money" components to purchase (who doesn't?
wink.gif
), I'll add that compuryan's advice is pretty good.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 32
@Sonci, since your using Winamp: I am unsure on your policies regarding DSP but many like the Ozone Izotope for adding that "analog" warmth heard on older analog gear that many feel newer gear and playback mediums such as CD's just don't portray properly.
May help.
If your current playback system can only produce upper range frequencies then adding a subwoofer may help also.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Sonci, since your using Winamp: I am unsure on your policies regarding DSP but many like the Ozone Izotope for adding that "analog" warmth heard on older analog gear that many feel newer gear and playback mediums such as CD's just don't portray properly.
May help.
If your current playback system can only produce upper range frequencies then adding a subwoofer may help also.

Thanks ROBSCIX
I thought it was the best advice, because it was a plugin, no expensive hardware, but then I discovered that its not free!!. Vow, it must be good..
I'm not so sure about it because with DSP I have to disable ASIO, which is one of the few things I believe in audiolife.
By the way, what about the sub, pasive or active, any special brand?

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks ROBSCIX
I thought it was the best advice, because it was a plugin, no expensive hardware, but then I discovered that its not free!!. Vow, it must be good..
I'm not so sure about it because with DSP I have to disable ASIO, which is one of the few things I believe in audiolife.
By the way, what about the sub, pasive or active, any special brand?

There is a demo version that you can dowload on the WInamp site or Ozone site will give you a few presets that will warm up your music. If you really like it the full version is only about 35 bucks. There are two version one for players and one for studio use that is far more expensive.
I can use ASIO output plugin with Winamp using DSP plugins, not sure why you can't.
Here is a link to the demo version: OZONE
As for the sub, if you are interested in that you will have to do some research for a model that will fit your system and preferences.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Well, I have an AMD system, EMU1212M as a source, a pair of Kef iQ3(bookshelves.)connected to Denon ampl(PMA700).
The sound is very detailed and clear, but after listening for some minutes, I just get tired. I feel, theres a lack of lows, especially at low volumes.
Do you think getting a subwoofer would upgrade the musicality of the system?
I use winamp with ASIO, what about upsampling? I wish I dont have to buy an external DAC, the EMU is still a new buy for me.

Wy not just turn up the bass slightly ?

Small speakers almost always have relatively limited low frequency response, for their size the iQ3 are pretty decent going down to 45hz or so, my old Kefs only went down to 65, my current Codas go down to 45 and they do not lack bass. But at low levels this limitation is exacerbated in all speakers, you are after all moving a physical transducer to pump air.

In the old days amps had a loudness switch which boosted extreme lows and extreme highs to make up for the fact that at really low levels bass and treble are relatively harder to perceive. If the lack of low bass is really irritating you then a subwoofwer will fill in the lows but played at low volumes you may still have the same problem.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 32
Thanks Guys,
I never used the DSP, because I have the feeling that is like "cheating" music,
but yes the plugin, Robsix mentioned, somehow works for me.
.and yes I have the loudness button, it gives some bass but the musicality is still the same.
I was proud of my system some months ago, then I decided to modd my old xFi with LM4562, and installed it in another PC(the noisy one), with a pair of Indiana Line connected to a cheap Creative woofer. It was a big mistake..
I've build the EMU PC just for the music but now I want to listen to the xfi.,

With the EMU there's too much detail in the sound, the music is flat, it seems like theres no life in the songs, while with the damn xFi, its spring season..
Now I'm really afraid to invest in a new DAC, what if the sound is the same...
Unfortunately, I dont get influenced so much, by the placebo efect of buying a 500$ DAC...
Thanks again,

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 32
I'm a 2 channel guy and not a regular here but the Denon SS amp is probably the culprit. I don't know your speakers and their efficiency but an integrated tube amp should provide the warmer environment you seek. In these days of economic stress lots of gear is available used at ridiculous prices.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Thanks Guys,
I never used the DSP, because I have the feeling that is like "cheating" music,
but yes the plugin, Robsix mentioned, somehow works for me.
.and yes I have the loudness button, it gives some bass but the musicality is still the same.
I was proud of my system some months ago, then I decided to modd my old xFi with LM4562, and installed it in another PC(the noisy one), with a pair of Indiana Line connected to a cheap Creative woofer. It was a big mistake..
I've build the EMU PC just for the music but now I want to listen to the xfi.,

With the EMU there's too much detail in the sound, the music is flat, it seems like theres no life in the songs, while with the damn xFi, its spring season..
Now I'm really afraid to invest in a new DAC, what if the sound is the same...
Unfortunately, I dont get influenced so much, by the placebo efect of buying a 500$ DAC...
Thanks again,

Many "production cards" can produce this type of sound as the clear, flat un-effected sound is what people look for when editing and producing tracks. They are great for this task but to some they are anything but enjoyable to listen to for extended periods. Ofcourse your playback system is also part of the equation, such as a solidstate vs. tube amp or smaller speaker unable to produce lower frequencies. I am glad the ozone helped with the "coldness" The full version allows modifications and song presets etc.
it is basically a "analog modeller" adding that warmth back to your sound that some gear can pull out. Not everbody likes that sound either though. Whatever sounds good to your ears. Glad I could help.

Also, maybe for your next soundcard, you should consider a model with replacable opamps so you can use opamps to tune the card more to your liking.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 32
Glad to hear there's another OzoneMP convert out there!
beyersmile.png

Once I started playing around with all the different controls and got a taste of all it could do I was hooked! I've used it for a couple of years now and tbh I find it enhances my listening experience so much that I really can't listen to music on my PC without it! It's really a phenmominal piece of software, and for $29 it's a steal IMO.

I strongly suggest though that you spend an hour or so and go through each screen and read through the help to familiarize yourself with what all the different controls can do and how they interact with each other. Oh and bypass the Tube Limiter in the Tube Amp section. I find it kills the music's dynamics when it's on.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #15 of 32
I swiched speakers between both PC, and I found, as lcrim mentioned, that the Denon amplifie the analitical sound of the EMU.
Apart for the Ozone which is a good solution for now, I was thinking for a tube Preamp for the future..
Do you think it can make the trick? Any suggestion?(not expensive please..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back