How To Get The Most Out Of My Shure SE-535s?
Nov 12, 2011 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

tresenddrums

New Head-Fier
I'm somewhat of a novice with higher end audio setup, so I'm looking for some advice. My setup right now consists simply of an iPod Classic + Shure SE-535. I am looking any advice on how to get the most out of my SE-535s. After doing some research on these forums, I know I have a few options: getting a different source, getting a headphone amp, etc. If I've got a few hundred $ to spend what should I invest in? Will spending a few hundred $ really make a worthwhile difference? Thanks for your advice in advance!

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 28
Simple answer: Listen to them and enjoy them.

I'm not sure if the SE535s "need" to be amped.  I have the exact same setup.  Sometimes I use my iBasso D6, but most of the time I do not.  I find the D6 opens up the soundstage ever-so-slightly but it does not completely transform the sound.

Are you happy with them and are just looking to slightly tweak the sound?  In that case I would recommend trying different tips.  That will have a much more dramatic effect on the tonal characteristics than an amp would.  Tips that work with the size of the SE535 nozzles include: EarSonics bi-flanges (my personal favorite), Etymotic Research, Future Sonics Atrio and Comply tips.  

If you are not happy with them, let us know what you specifically do not like.

Edit: BTW, welcome to Head-Fi.

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
I'm somewhat of a novice with higher end audio setup, so I'm looking for some advice. My setup right now consists simply of an iPod Classic + Shure SE-535. I am looking any advice on how to get the most out of my SE-535s. After doing some research on these forums, I know I have a few options: getting a different source, getting a headphone amp, etc. If I've got a few hundred $ to spend what should I invest in? Will spending a few hundred $ really make a worthwhile difference? Thanks for your advice in advance!

Well i also have the same setup, except i have the amazing DHC Symbiote Cryo version which i find musically orgasmic. Weather or not you go cryo or not, will make a difference and is up to you. Look at my review to see what one fits your music tastes best.

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 28
Amping the Shure SE535 will make difference and improve overall soundquality because iPod Classic line out signals are much cleaner than HP jack and gives more volume to the music with AMPs help. The better AMPs and dock cable will also shows great improvement and I will recommend the ALO 18AWG Pure Cryo or CXS dock cable and AMPs like XM6, P51 Mustang, iBasso PB2, Stepdance and ALO MKII. The CLAS, HP-P1 takes digital signals through USB from iPod dock and the results are amazing.

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:
Amping the Shure SE535 will make difference and improve overall soundquality because iPod Classic line out signals are much cleaner than HP jack and gives more volume to the music with AMPs help. The better AMPs and dock cable will also shows great improvement and I will recommend the ALO 18AWG Pure Cryo or CXS dock cable and AMPs like XM6, P51 Mustang, iBasso PB2, Stepdance and ALO MKII. The CLAS, HP-P1 takes digital signals through USB from iPod dock and the results are amazing.

To the OP, the amps above are not necessarily needed since the SE535's are one of the few headphones that wont need an amp. An amp will help all headphones, but this is just my $.2 on the hundreds of threads ive personally read on this subject.

Nov 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 28
Buying an amp just for an IEM is not worth it IMO. Enjoy your music! 
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 28
I`ve just recently bought the SE535`s too and will post here instead of making a new thread, help me out:

Is the line out quality of an iPad 2 or an iPod Touch 4G poor to a degree that using a Jena labs cryo LOD paired with an amplifier like the iBasso PB2, or the Tomahawk with the SE535 not worth it? I notice a lot of flaws using the iPod's headphone out. (Lossless files)

I'm only worried about wasting money if either of them have substandard line out capability. Some comments on that specifically would help me a lot. Thanks fellas.

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 28
The 4G Touch isn't that great via HO, but the Ipad 2 should do fine via headphone out. I don't think that set-up above is worthwhile at all, the CLAS/Fostex set-ups are even less appealing. Both of the devices mentioned have a clean enough LO. A Fiio LOD should do the job and so can a budget amp like the E6. If you want even more performance (but less bang-for-the-buck) I'll recommend the Leckerton Amps. Either way, I don't think the Ipad needs amping, the 4G Touch unfortunately is the worst sounding new Apple device. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 28
Thank you, apreciate that advice/summary a lot. I'm willing to spend cash for any incremental improvement in quality, so I'l look for a suitably priced amp. Bummer about the 4G touch.

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 28
FLAC --> Cowon _ _ (BBE) --> SE535

Had the setup with an S9 was very pleased with it. There are newer players for you to consider as well =)
My current is the same but with 425s and it's pretty much no frills and fulfills my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back