How to get the highest fidelity out of a MacBook Pro (optical out)?
May 3, 2006 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mattigol

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am about to switch from a G4 ibook to a MacBook Pro w/ optical out amongst other goodies. Anyone out there who can advice on downstream equipment to get the best quality out of this source?

Thanks! M.

May 3, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 9
I am setting up a system with an external DAC (in my case the Lavry DA10 Black) that will be hooked up to my computer through an optical cable. I am using mine with the optical out on airport express.

May 3, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
Hi there,

I am about to switch from a G4 ibook to a MacBook Pro w/ optical out amongst other goodies. Anyone out there who can advice on downstream equipment to get the best quality out of this source?

Thanks! M.

I had the use of a macbook pro for a while, but unfortunately, I didn't try the optical out because the optical jack is a mini optical, not your standard optical jack, so I didn't have any mini digital cables to test it. Just keep that in mind.

May 5, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Asmo- there are plenty of cable and adapters that you will let you hook mini optical to TOSLINK.

In fact, I use one to connect an Intel Mac Mini to my DAC. And yeah, I'd recommend an external DAC for your MacBook. It sounds great and is very convenient. I believe the MacBook comes with a remote and Front Row/Bonjour, so you can sit there with the remote and use it just like an iPod.

I chose the PreSonus Central Station as my DAC. I love it. I also considered the Musical Fidelity A3.24, Channel Islands DAC and the Benchmark DAC1. I think all of those are quite good.

Anyhow, get a DAC. You'll be glad you did. Also think about picking up a big external hard drive, because you're going to want to rip your collection into ALAC.

May 5, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 9
If it doesn't have to be very portable I say stack your MacBook Pro right on an AQVOX
very_evil_smiley.gif

I lugged mine down from the main rig & hooked it up to the iMac & SRS-005. It is not like I am actually getting anything done anymore. So thinking about it - no, don't get an external DAC for your MacBook
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
If it doesn't have to be very portable I say stack your MacBook Pro right on an AQVOX
very_evil_smiley.gif

Honestly I cannot remember whether you still have it though...
confused.gif

May 5, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 9
They would definitely be a nice match. No I sent it back after a month of evaluation and subsequently sold the Rega Planet when I had the opportunity to get a Berendsen CDP1 at a very good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back