How to explain the money put into this hobby :)
Jul 6, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #31 of 46
yeah I basically said to my parents look it is my money I have considered all my options and I am getting the ue-11's regardless of their opinions and meanwhile it worked
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah I basically said to my parents look it is my money I have considered all my options and I am getting the ue-11's regardless of their opinions and meanwhile it worked
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure they appreciate that you're being honest with them.

And remember to do that write-up and post pictures
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #34 of 46
Tell 'em you've won the object for a dollay on eBay.
Or even better, don't tell them.
My mom was kinda mad at me after she found out I bought my 3rd iPod in 1 year (all of 'em were bargains) while she comes in all happy and proud because she got a new (awesome looking, I gotta admit) lamp for almost $750.
And after we talk money, she still comes at me with the age crap.

Jul 7, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #35 of 46
NEVER tell them the real value of the stuff you bought! NEVER!

I never would've survived till this day if i told them how much I spent on my computer upgrades.

Jul 7, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell 'em you've won the object for a dollay on eBay.
Or even better, don't tell them.
My mom was kinda mad at me after she found out I bought my 3rd iPod in 1 year (all of 'em were bargains) while she comes in all happy and proud because she got a new (awesome looking, I gotta admit) lamp for almost $750.
And after we talk money, she still comes at me with the age crap.

haha so does my dad he says he is older and has a real job and he can afford to be frivolous I just say no one could be more frivolous than a kid because we have no expenses
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #37 of 46
Most parents (even my own) don't set steady examples of this kind of stuff, period. I bought all my games and even the PS1 when it was $200 retail; as I get older, I feel that I get stingier, which is why this whole headphone deal is a bit if a pain since you begin to notice many nuances in sound and end up with a thin paycheck. It's a curse, for the most part. Heck, my father was stingy with simple toys, but was a real vinyl nut with many boxes of jazz in the closet.

I wonder though, why the UE11s when you have SE530s? Why spend so much when you can get a comparable product at a fraction of the cost (livewires, freqs)? How much research are you putting into this? A lot of people regret making stupid or frivolous purchases as they get older, and your father's probably no exception. Stead job or not, it's not about the income; but your priorities. You can't resale custom IEMs, either.

Age is a terrible excuse for this kind of thing. Greed is greed in any timeline; in the lime-light, it's best to conceal that greed with "a great deal from Ebay". If they have access to your account records, though, don't be reckless, and more importantly, ungrateful. As long as you're under their roof, it's never polite to argue over something that you really don't need in the long run.

Besides, you'd have had a better deal with a full set of cans. You've already got IEMs, and imo, they don't get much better than around $200.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #38 of 46
i have to say this is a refreshing thread/post. it's good to know that among all the talk of which IEMs and headphones sound a bit better than others, that a lot of us have trouble justifying the expense on a good pair of phones to others. just good to know that we're all kinda in the same boat when it comes to our hobby/passion for great sound. good luck to everyone on the endless journey of justification!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #39 of 46
I have done my reasearch and I am not looking to sel them. IMO they are worth it but that is besides the point I am just going on how my parents were trying to control what I can buy even though it is my cash and I am not trying to buy anything to awefull
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #41 of 46
my friends used to freak out when I used to tell them that my UE3 cost me 60 bucks. "you're ****ing crazy" they used to say.

They will never know why I own 3 MP3 players (clip, 818 and an iriver).

But then, I'm only a poor student in a public college. 100 dollars is a lot to most of us. I'm just curious how badly they'd freak out when I buy the TF10s.

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #42 of 46
Whenever the subject of my headphones/amp/whatever and someone else's jaw drops to the floor, this is what I tell them every time:

"Let's say you have this killer stereo at home, right? Let's say it costs, I dunno, $5,000. What if the speakers that you had complimenting that $5,000 stereo were $35 from Radio Shack? What would be the point of having the $5,000 stereo?

I have an iPod which isn't exactly a cheap portable audio player. I want to get the very most out of it. If you stick with the included ear buds it's like getting the $35 Radio Shack speakers. The Radio Shack speakers are probably actually better than the ear buds.

Obviously my setup (amp, ALO dock, UE10s) is a little excessive but you get the point."

Then they pick their jaw up from the floor and understand a little bit better.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #43 of 46
First, you have to justify it to yourself. Did you do all the research? Did you consider all the other options? Is this really the best for this price or could you do with less? Is there a better option at the same price or cheaper?

Second (after you did your research and justified the price for yourself) if someone expresses their discomfort with the price, they probably know about a better deal
wink.gif
Ask them whether they know about other cheaper options but with the same or better quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back