How to do your store your cans?
Jan 20, 2002 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Trawlerman

A British ingredient in our rockin' international gumbo.
Hello peeps,

I know we had a thread on here back in November about storing those all too precious cans and many good suggestions were made.
But I was wondering........

When you put your Phones on a hook or whatever, what do you do with the cables? Do you tie them up in a nice neat bundle or do you hang them up with the cables trailing on the floor or what?

I have been thinking about this allday. The reason being, last night almost instinctively I hung my new Grado SR80's up on the turntable rack as I do with my other phones. I colied the cable neatly around my hand and then tied it up to make a nice neat bundle. They were stored like for around 18-24 hours and when I came to use them today the cable seemed all out of shape and just generally twisted. Now I do this with all my other phones and haven't had any problems thus far.

I know my HD580s have a Kevlar coated cable so i'm not too unduly worried about damaging them but was wondering about the effect it may have on other, perhaps less durable phones.

Anyway, what do YOU think?

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 36
I hang my HD600s on the knob of a drawer on my desk. The cord goes through a hook on my shelf, so it never touches the floor. The hook is ~2' away from the MG HeadDT and nicely divides the cable in half if I let it sag almost to the floor.

Jan 20, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 36
I just roll the cable in a circle and hang it, along with th headphones, on a hook. As long as everything is out of reach of my dog, it's good enough for me. As far as the Grado cables go, I often have the same problem. Piss-Poor design.
mad.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 36
my grado cable is fine...however i just leave the cable hanging on the floor....but it works. it doesn't get tangled and it doesnt get all kinked, it stays straight....

(i dont have any pets....
tongue.gif
)

Jan 20, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 36
All my audio gear is on a low-lying portion of my computer desk (1' above ground). I just lay my headphone of the moment on top on my Headmaster and shove the cable underneath the desk out of the way. Since getting my HD-600s my Grados are lying on my scanner which is stacked upon my CDP.

I really don't understand all the problems people have with Grado cables. If you take half a second to put them down properly they won't get tangled & twisted. They still are poorly designed, however
frown.gif

My cats don't really come in my room (except when it's vet time, they cower under my bed) so I can leave cables draped all over the place like some electronic jungle
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 36
I have a rack on my mickey mouse component rack for my headphones, the cables just kind of flop wherever, and I generally keep my Airhead on the top of it. CD player goes on the next highest rack, reciever on the bottomrack, and the 3 racks in between can house headohones, CDs, clothes and other stuff too.

Jan 21, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 36
I stash the entire thing (Sennheiser HD600&Clou cables) in computer desk drawer.

When not using them temporarily, I have a hook on top left side of my monitor which I hang them on, let the cable drag on floor.

Jan 21, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 36
I have four hooks hanging on the wall next to my computer desk that I found at a local store called Meijers. The main hook is 2" wide and 1.75" deep, and they have a second smaller hook underneath which I loop the cable around, below and underneath the headphones. I have my HD580's, DT831's, HD280 pros, and K501's hanging on them. I have my Grado SR60's on a plastic mannequin head on the back of my desk.

-Keith

Jan 21, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 36
I put my CD3000 in the nice fancy case and usually leave the cable still connected to the source. When away for some time, I usually store the cable too. Don't want people tripping around (not for people's sake, but for the cable's sake ahaha).

Don't spend much time winding it, but I always make sure the jack ends up in a position where it cannot scratch the huge cd3k bean bags or those nice smooth pads. :)

I also put a smooth microfiber Zeiss cloth between the pads for storage.

I suspect I'm keeping these for many years, so these pads get extra-careful handling.

Xander, are you a cook or something
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #12 of 36
I have an anti-gravity device that suspends my headphones in mid-air in my usual listening position. I have small ceramic feet holding the cable up off the floor at all points.

Little known fact about cable burn-in -- every time you move the cable, you have to burn it in again.

PS [size=medium]:-?[/size]

Jan 21, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
I have an anti-gravity device that suspends my headphones in mid-air in my usual listening position. I have small ceramic feet holding the cable up off the floor at all points.

- Have you ever considered an antigravity argon-chamber?

Jan 21, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Little known fact about cable burn-in -- every time you move the cable, you have to burn it in again.
PS :-?

I'm with you Dusty, although I also feel that an Argon environment would be an improvement.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back