How To: Diy your own jh1x/ue cable cable
Apr 5, 2010 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

momomo6789

1000+ Head-Fier
for people who think $300 for a headphone cable is ridiculous and insane this is for you. since not every one has soldered before i used my left hand to solder the entire time a nice handicap and to prove it can be done with zero motor skills.

Tools needed:
cheap iron
wire cutter
third hand thing
2 medical clamps

total cost for wire:
$41 4x4 DHC 6n copper besides that he charges $5 for shipping then ships first class...
$31 + ship or free for jh plugs if you use the ones you have.
$3 + ship R angle plug or protector plug.

total: $44-75

total build time with dog jumping on me every once in a while and eating things off my desk: 48 mins might take longer if your no good at braiding wire
smily_headphones1.gif

First take your wire cutters and do like so to the plug do not cut all the way to the poles or they will fall out and will add to the build time cut just like so and then scrape any plastic that's still on the contacts then bend the wire at a 90 degrese angle upwards and cut along the plug. braid your wire at this point and use the clamps on both ends of the braid leave a foot + after the Y split. for the best cleanest braid possible weight the wire down at starting end then keep the wire tension as tight as possible also try to keep the wire from rolling to do this do the entire wire in one go no stopping. if you must stop for some reason stop at under not over.

for UE cables when using that plug its going to have 2 holes unsolder the wires from these holes then just solder into them its a good amount harder then using jh plugs but its still doable make sure you have a small nail file b/c the two holes always bridge solder their just to close to not. also only use hot glue after you measure the distance of the recessed plug on ue's which is 3x5mm i think to make sure it will fit and is to not large.

img8305.jpg

Second place plug end on your third hand this picture is really pointless
smily_headphones1.gif

img8313.jpg

now with your tinned wire. tin the tip of the iron with a small amount of solder and get it done. yank on the wire make sure its all secure and in place then check with multimeter.

img8314g.jpg

apply hot glue as its cooling there is a point where you can mold the glue to what ever shape you want use this time to make sure the glue is securing the wires in place tightly don't forget to yank on your wire after you glue again make sure its secure again.

img8309b.jpg

apply heat shrink again mold the hot glue to how you want it to look smooth and what not this is not a good example b/c instead of molding it i was taking a picture so this ones kinda oddly shaped. also i cut a small band of white heat shrink and put it over the plug i chose as R at this point.

img8310x.jpg

take your time at this point and lay the wire out strait and see which to plugs line up best to pick your + / - for each plug so minimize the twist when there on your ears. once done start soldering your plug in this case protector which is just as easy as any 3.5mm plug imo. once your done soldering check for shorts and correct pinout for the plug balanced or not marking it with small heatshrink of different colors works well.

img8318d.jpg

funest part hot glue time first do a small amount for this plug type for others just spew it every where you can fit it. for protector only at this point bend the wire over fit it in the plug so it will fit and spew hotglue every where every inch of the plug then put the plug on it probably wont fit so get some vice grips and clamp it down till its snapped together.

img8320k.jpg

img8321.jpg

and your done easy as that and you just saved $200 or more. the wire used in guide is stranded silver wire costs $11 a foot and is no longer around to buy.

img8322gh.jpg

img8292t.jpg

and last always keep a clean workplace
beerchug.gif

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1026/img8260.jpg

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Btw, the 2-pin connector that attaches to the drivers is salvaged from another cable?

Has anyone ever sourced a similar plug that can be used so I don't have to destroy my old cable?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by juswyq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, the 2-pin connector that attaches to the drivers is salvaged from another cable?

Has anyone ever sourced a similar plug that can be used so I don't have to destroy my old cable?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

only cheap ones are off ue cables >$10 for a set

May 1, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks nice, thanks for the guide.

I made my JH13 cable simply using pins from PCB terminals.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if that would work for UE cables, my POS Super.fi 3 connectors keep falling out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back