How to detect faulty drivers on the HE-400's?
Sep 20, 2012 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

krzkrzkrz

New Head-Fier
I put an order out for a pair of HE-400's. Can't wait for them to arrive soon. However, I also read complaints from some people about a faulty driver. How can you tell if the headphone is faulty? Is it a matter of hearing them out? What are the signs of a faulty driver?

Hopefully the ones I ordered will arrive fine.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
I put an order out for a pair of HE-400's. Can't wait for them to arrive soon. However, I also read complaints from some people about a faulty driver. How can you tell if the headphone is faulty? Is it a matter of hearing them out? What are the signs of a faulty driver?

Hopefully the ones I ordered will arrive fine.

Heya,

You'll know right away because it will stop playing audio from the driver, and when you swap the cable to make sure it's not the cable, it will continue to not play anything from the faulty driver. I had it happen. There are no signs or anything. You get it and within a few hours it will probably show up the fault, or never will. They fixed their issue though. It was mostly the first batch of the HE400's that went out. The latest ones are fine. Hifiman recognized their issue and were fixing/replacing HE400's left & right. I wouldn't worry about it. You're probably getting a later released HE400 if you bought new; and if you're buying used, well, it would have already pooped out for the first user if it was faulty.

You're going to be fine; just enjoy your headphones.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back