How to correctly use carbon fiber record brush?
Nov 12, 2010 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
This is going to sound silly, but I'm new to vinyl and just got a carbon fiber brush.   How do you correctly use them?  The instructions say to:

1. Place record on platter and start turntable.
2. Holding metal part of brush, gently place the brush across the grooves for a few turns until dust is collected.
3. With the brush on the record, carefully pull the brush towards you. Try not to lose any of the collected dust. It might be necessary to make a second pass to insure getting the very fine micro-dust which the carbon fibers are capable of collecting.
4. Rotate the brush within the metal handle to clean the bristles.

I'm a bit confused about number 3. Do I pull the brush towards me while the brush is in the horizontal position (i.e., pull in direction of arrow #2 on the picture below), or pull towards me while the brush is in the vertical position around 6 o'clock (pull in the direction of arrow #1)?

Nov 12, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 2
I hold the brush at 6 O'Clock, pointed at the spindle, for a few rotations, then gently sweep it clockwise towards myself and off the record.

Don't worry too much since you can't hurt anything if you screw up. You'll just leave some dust on the record and can do it again.

So give it a try and start spinning those black discs! You'll get the hang of it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back