How to convert USB to optical audio?
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #16 of 26
I recommend Schiit Eitr. Converts usb to coaxial and optical and improved sound quality, in my opinion. Schiit currently has closeout units on their product page at a good price.

Thank you. I have seen it, but was somewhat demotivated by its measurements on Audiosciencereview (I am not associated with the website, just landed there from Google search).
Will look for more info.

UPD. Oops, it doesn't support optical output, only coaxial.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #17 of 26
Thank you. I have seen it, but was somewhat demotivated by its measurements on Audiosciencereview (I am not associated with the website, just landed there from Google search).
Will look for more info.

The Topping D10 seems to be the only other alternative to the Eitr in the price range. I was going to pick a D10 up when I also needed a USB to optical device, but ended up buying a Chromecast audio.

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #18 of 26
Will look for more info.

Right, as I said in another post, I was thinking of spdif ipurifier. My double bad.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 26
Anything decent for USB to Optical emerged?

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #20 of 26
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/arjuna93.395832/

While never (having the ability) going above 24-bit/192kHz, simply putting files on a USB stick and playing off a smart TV, is the ultimate solution to avoiding USB.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #22 of 26
How about to get some USB DAC? It doesn't come expensive, if you look at Khadas Tone Board, for example.

I have USB on my DAC, but prefer Optical.

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #24 of 26
I use a small $12 or so usb audio dongle from amzn that has mini-toslink (3.5) optical out.

Syba SD-AUD20101

So you will also need a mini-toslink to toslink cable. I use a fospower.

Edit: I should mention I use this Syba dongle to give an iPhone optical out capability via the camera connection kit.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #25 of 26
Hi everyone,
Would like to bump this thread. going to buy speakers with optical/spdiff inputs but have a laptop that only has usb out. Any pointers would be appreciated.
thnx
Greetings, Anouk,
I am using the Douk Audio U2 and it works perfectly, but is a bit more expensive than I was hoping. I also tried the SMSL PO100 but experienced stuttering issues that I wasn't able to resolve. I needed a device with coax out specifically, so my options were a bit more limited.

Sep 22, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #26 of 26
being very late to this topic I do have a couple of questions.
1. it seems when using USB to optical (toslink) those converters will always be a DAC?
2. when using the 3.5mm out on my laptop the built-in soundcard will do the DAC and some AMP?
3. when using Bluetooth are there any conversion from digital to analog?
4. when using USB from the laptop to a DAC AMP there will be digital to analog conversion being done by the Dekstop DAC AMP(like questyle, hifiman, Fostex etc) unit and not at the laptop level?

My questions lead to the point that if using 1 or 2 the signals will be already converted from digital to analog and then getting to the desktop DAC AMP and being already converted to analog the DAC in that desktop AMP will not do any work. with that it means it does not make any sense having a desktop DAC.

In my case I have next to the individual DAC AMPs (connectec by USB to the laptop) listed which means those will do the DAC and AMP work for the sound file.

At the headphones - Built-in Audio I have a 3.5mm going out connecting to a RCA to optical (toslink) converter, which connects to an optical (toslink) splitter. the optical (toslink) splitter connects to my Fostex, Questyle and xDuoo TA-26 (is currently not connected with USB). The "advantage is that all the DAC AMPs getting the signal and I can connect several headphones or easy unplug - plug switch the headphone from one of those 3 DAC AMPs to the other, but the DAC Work is done by the built-in sound card.

so the connection setup Laptop 3.5mm TO RCA-optical (toslink) converter TO optical (toslink) splitter TO the 3 DAC AMPs does not make any sense.

Attachments

• Sound-Settings-devices.jpeg
    Sound-Settings-devices.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back