How to convert DT 880 into DT 990 (and vice versa). DT 770 Info.
Sep 4, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #31 of 63
How do the insides of the enclosures compare? No doubt the felt in front of the driver affect the sound a lot, but I doubt the net in the rear does much other than protect against debris.

I know the older DT-990 are just closed cans with a small felt-damped port in the rear. Maybe the DT-880 is actually a (partially) open design?

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #32 of 63
Hmmm.... I would not want to - or dare to - alter my DT880 600s. More treble? No thanks. More bass? Actually I moved from leather to velour pads to get the crispest bass possible. With a good amp, DT880 bass is excellent in quality and just right in quantity. All IMHO YMMV SP4VP.

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #33 of 63
Quote:

I would not want to - or dare to - alter my DT880 600s. More treble? No thanks. More bass? Actually I moved from leather to velour pads to get the crispest bass possible. With a good amp, DT880 bass is excellent in quality and just right in quantity.

Somehow this thread are not a suggestion for you to do something to your cans.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #34 of 63
Sorry to revive an old thread, but are there any other impressions on this mod? I would like to have more bass on my DT880s, but I am hesitant to do something irreversible to them. Thanks.

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #35 of 63
nothing irreversible, just disassemble the rings, and you keep the chance to put them back

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's DT 770(pictures). Again, same driver, but this time, its' backside is covered with dampening cap(a plastic piece, filled with felt). This is DT 770 2005 edition-which is not a bass monster by any stretch. Maybe this cap is absent in Pro\80omh version and that's why it's a bass monster. I've tried to play them without this dampening cap and it sounded bad(too much bass). So if anyone can disassemble their pro\80 version-it's interesting to see if there's that cap or not.
28v9ijr.jpg

2h3tulj.jpg

2rqn9c8.jpg

So, the bottom line for Beyer owners: if you're not liking excessive bass-experiment with driver dampening from the back.

For anyone who is still interested, I just cracked open my 770 pro80, and sure enough, there is a cap just like the one here.

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #37 of 63
Ok, this is interesting. I just tried the 990 with the 770 pads and 2 things happened SQ wise. First thing I noticed, the bass. with the 770 pads the bass on the 990 was monstrous, way more than even the 770 has! The second thing I noticed was that the sibilance was reduced, although not entirely gone. Now this may just be my ears playing tricks on me, but I'm sure there was some difference there. Is there anyone else who can test/confirm this?

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #39 of 63
I just think that must be where much of the 770's bass comes from. I didn't try the 770 with the 990 pads, but I suspect that the bass would be significantly less overpowering, and could conceivably sound better, although I agree, they wouldn't isolate as well.

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just think that must be where much of the 770's bass comes from. I didn't try the 770 with the 990 pads, but I suspect that the bass would be significantly less overpowering, and could conceivably sound better, although I agree, they wouldn't isolate as well.

from Peter Grooff(beyer PM) :
Quote:

concerning the ear pads: the DT 770 PRO and DT 880 PRO ear pads do indeed differ from each other. The DT 880 PRO ear pads do only have the velours and foam, while the DT 770 PRO ear pads have some extra foam behind the holes on the inside of the ear pad making the DT 880 PRO ear pads more permeable than the DT 770 PRO ear pads. That’s also the reason for the loss of low-end using the DT 880 PRO ear pads on a DT 770 PRO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No doubt the felt in front of the driver affect the sound a lot

I've added some very thin felt in front of the foam that's on the drivers, and it's much more comfy, more bassy and the trebles sound far better
smily_headphones1.gif

I've posted all my modifications here : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wha...ml#post5561777

I will prolly soon recable it w/ whipsplashaudio's TWcu + a furutech 1/4", I just dunno whether I'll be using 3 or 4 wires...and whether I'll litz braid it, some ppl advise against it
redface.gif

but I will keep it single entry, and will also replace the cable that goes between the 2 cups
dt880smile.png

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #41 of 63
Beyer does make a bunch of different pads, and they do have a significant impact in the sound. The leather pads you can buy in the USA from beyer I have discovered are the Aviator pads, and they don't really sound all that good, unfortunately.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #42 of 63
ok, so I should probably know this already, but how should I attach the felt so that this is a reasonably reversible mod? I don't really want to use glue...

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #44 of 63
dampening cap? I did have the white felt at the back w/ the same cap on top of it as the 250 Ohms, and I added the black stuff at the back w/ the round white foam

they also have some resistors between ground and hop spot :

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dampening cap? I did have the white felt at the back w/ the same cap on top of it as the 250 Ohms, and I added the black stuff at the back w/ the round white foam

they also have some resistors between ground and hop spot :

Those are diodes http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dio...-dt770-417728/
and mine didn't come with caps just some felt around, go figure
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back