How to contact John Grado himself?
Dec 12, 2008 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fatman711

Member of the Trade: JMoney Audio
I got a pair of SR100s with the hp1000 drivers and one of them died on me.

So, I contacted via the regular info email address and they said that they will replace the drivers with sr225 drivers.

I want to speak to John himself to talk about options here. Maybe a repair of the old drivers themselves, etc.

Anyone know how I can contact him or even Joe, the man who invented the drivers?

thanks

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 11
my friend lives in NYC... maybe he knows him. I'll ask
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 11
The only HP1000 drivers are with Joe Grado. John has none. Joe will/does rebuild (incl drivers) or re-calibrate HP1 & 2. I don't know if he is interested in doing it with SR100. You see, when he left Brooklyn he had 1000 drivers that went with him. However, last Spring, he was down to only 150 of them. If he does agree to do it - don't count on it being "cheap". There is always a demand for those original parts.

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 11
True, the last of the worlds brand new HP1000 drivers are all at Joe's house in SC. It's not so much that he's expensive as it is that he's the best in the world and has the only source of parts. I wouldn't count on him using any of the last of his drivers in anything other than HP1000's however. You see, it's not just the drivers that make the HP1000 unique it's a tuned system. If you'd like to discuss things with him he'll be at the Charlotte, NC Canfest in February, as mentioned in another blog. Here are the high points from that thread:

Southern CanFEST 2009

Date: 2/21/2009
Time: 9AM-4PM

The location for CanFEST 2009 is:

Hilton Charlotte Executive Park
Grand Ballroom
5624 Westpark Drive
Charlotte, NC 28217
704-527-8000

Date: 2/21/2009
Time: 9AM-4PM

Joseph GRADO in person!!!

Vendors-more to be added:

Drew of Moon Audio
Dennis Had of Cary Audio
Paul of Ultrasone
Ray Samuels of Ray Samuels Audio
Joe Abrams of Portal Audio
Justin Wilson HeadAmp-tentative/not yet confirmed

Attendees include:
DannyB
fatcat28037
mwallace573
Bob Jones
Jeff E
Stevtt
Ingwe
Hcat
mamaox2
inscrutable
Doorknob
Slipkid
Elk
jimmyjames8
Unkamartin
okcomputer
Mark
Nick214
frank99
Packgrog
Several local enthusiasts

GEAR LIST

Headphones-more to be added:
AKG K701 (2)
AKG K501
AKG K1K with Black Dragon cabling from Drew at Moon Audio
Audio Technica ATH-AE7
Audio Technica A-900
BeyerDynamics DT880
Denon D5000
Grado SR-80 (2)
Grado G1000
Grado SR-200
Grado SR325i
Grado HF-1 (2)
Grado RS-1 (2)
Grado HP-2
iGrado (2)
Koss KSC-35
Senn HD-25-1
Senn HD-420
Senn HD-580
Senn HD-590
Senn HD-595
Senn HD-600 (2)
Senn HD-650 (3)
Senn PX100
Sony CD3000
Sony MDR-v6
STAX SR-007Mk2
Ultrasone 8 and a bunch of other Ultrasone cans.

Amplifiers-more to be added:
Wright WHA-22 Headphone amp
New, soon to be released, CARY Audio Headphone/Integrated tube amp
Woo Audio 3+
Woo Audio 6
Headamp AE-2
Meier Corda Move
Red Wine Audio Isabella
RSA Hornet (2)
RSA Raptor
RSA Tomahawk
Rudistor NX33
Corda Aria
SinglePower MPX SE Extreme
Grace M902
KGSS
Millett max hybrid, balanced
STAX SRM-007t
KGSS

Source
Marantz CD5001
Macbook
IPod Classic 160
Sony CDP
CARY 306SACD
CARY 303-300
OPUS w/metronome
Cowan A2

Due to understandable confusion with multiple threads, probably mainly my fault, let's make this the new and only thread related to the upcoming Southern CanFest on Saturday February 21st, 2009 with special guest speaker.....Mr. Joseph Grado. Please post future comments, questions, and answers on this thread to minimize confusion.

Also, please don't forget to Email me if you think you may join us to help give a guestimate of number of attendees to help determine the appropriate venue. This will also place you on the mailing list for updates of the Event. Please include equipment you may be bringing.

Dealers and manufacturers are encouraged to join us. Please contact me in advance.

We are planning to use a major hotel with convenient on/off expressway and airport access to help make things easier for everyone traveling to Charlotte by auto or plane.

I look forward to seeing you at The HEAD EVENT!

Thanks,
Danny
dannyb@carolina.rr.com

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 11
Yeah, I am quite sure you will be much better off contacting Joe Grado instead of John Grado.
Cause Joe Grado are the one having spare parts for the HP1000.
smile.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 11
Again, talking with Joe is your best bet. For those wishing to do so please PM me and I'll be happy to tell you how to reach the man himself. He called me this morning about another matter and in our conversation mentioned that the early headphones made after John bought the company did use hp1000 drivers for a while, so he may be able to help you after all, but again he’s the best person in the world to make that determination. Also, he just might have a phone number for his nephew John Grado (:wink:) Lastly, for those interested in knowing more about what he’s currently working on ~ The Joseph Grado model 3D-4 holographic microphone ~ check out the following site: Flickr: ctrainbow2005's Photostream

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 11
So could that be true that there might be a few RS-1's with HP1000 drivers? My uncle has a vintage RS-1's which has the same black cloth (as in HP1000's) in front of the driver and they sound darker to my ears than my previous semi-vintage pair.

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So could that be true that there might be a few RS-1's with HP1000 drivers? My uncle has a vintage RS-1's which has the same black cloth (as in HP1000's) in front of the driver and they sound darker to my ears than my previous semi-vintage pair.

You would be able to easily tell just be looking through the grill mesh at the driver itself.

If the actualy driver is white, it is an HP1000 driver. If it is black, it is not.

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 11
Joe Grado won't repair your SR100, anyway these HP1000 drivers were glued in the plastic enclosures, therefore making them almost impossible to replace with stock HP1000 drivers meant to be screwed in HP1000 enclosures. So you're basically getting a SR225 (if you choose to replace with such drivers) with a better build quality, better headband and a better cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back