How to connect DAC/AMP to sound card?
Dec 24, 2008 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CapQ

500+ Head-Fier
I just want to upgrade my pc audio recently. Right now I am using X-Fi eXtremeMusic + Logitech Z-2300 THX Speakers.

I want to buy a DAC/AMP for my system, but I don't know how to connect them. a DAC/AMP have inputs like RCA, Coaxial digital and Optical digital. But as I know there is no digital/optical output from X-Fi. Someone give me some helps?

And another thing is bothering me is, then how can I connect the DAC/AMP to my speaker?

Thanks in advance guys~~~

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 12
1) Which output is SPDIF? I check the backpanel and have no idea about it...
3 ) So you mean I can't use 2300 with the DAC/AMP?

Sorry I just new here^^

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Why not bypass the existing sound card all together and go usb out to something like a Fubar II, http://www.audiophileproducts.com/fubar2 which has line level outputs, that would connect to the existing speakers (with a 3.5 mm phone to rca adapter). Another option would be the the Super Pro 707 USB 2. Product Review. If you don't want to use the existing speakers, you can connect any amp to the line level outputs of either of these units and power any non powered speakers you like. I'm using a Silverstone EB01 that I got used for a great price, but I would have gone the 707 route if it was available at the time.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 12
1) RTFM
wink.gif
Read the documentation (comes with the card, or online)
3) You can, but don't want or need to.

First, separate the notion of DAC from Amp. You NEED a DAC somewhere (on the card or standalone). It will output a line level signal, this is what you want for your powered speakers (they already have a speaker amp built-in).

For headphones you will need a headphone amp (some standalone DACs have them built in).

Reason to not skip the XtremeMusic are simple and many:
S/PDIF signal to a huge range of quality DACs (USB DACs are more or less a "new thing" and from a value standpoint, older DACs provide a HUGE advantage in terms of value)
Direct3D, OpenAL, EAX and most importantly, CMSS processing

Dec 25, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 12
3135329688_ffbe4bf332_o.jpg

This is the dac/amp i wanna buy which has those input/output above. I find this product from a China local amp designer. And in front of it there are two headphone outputs. I think this solution of buying this amp/dac combination is cheaper than I buy a DAC and a headphone amp separately. So if I keep the speakers, I cannot connect them to this DAC/AMP right?

Or as FallenAngle said. I buy a DAC for my computer, and then buy another headphone amp, which products you can recommend? my budget maybe around $500 - $600 (the price for that dac/amp)

and MrSlim, I think I'd rather to keep my SC if it can provide digital signal.

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 12
The digital out on the Xtrememusic is the 'flexijack'. It is a regular 3.5mm jack which you will need to convert to rca. A cheap mono -> rca converter will do.

If you were only to 'power' those logitech speakers don't get anything at all because like Fallenangel said they don't need an amplifier.
You have a nice budget. What headphones do you plan on using?

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 12
On the back of the X-Fi the very top jack is a muliplex jack and can be used as line I/O or coaxial digital I/O. I have a coax cable going from that jack to coax in on my EMU 0404 USB. In the X-Fire driver settings you have to enable Digital I/O for it to work. How you cange that setting depends on if you are using XP or Vista. On your amp you simply connect coax cable from top jack of X-Fi to the digital coax in on your amp and then enable Digtial I/O in your X-Fi driver settings, set PC volume and media player volume to 100% (if your mediaplayer takes over control of PC volume) and you are good to go.

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The digital out on the Xtrememusic is the 'flexijack'. It is a regular 3.5mm jack which you will need to convert to rca. A cheap mono -> rca converter will do.

If you were only to 'power' those logitech speakers don't get anything at all because like Fallenangel said they don't need an amplifier.
You have a nice budget. What headphones do you plan on using?

Yes I know I can plug the speaker to the line level signal jack, and plug DAC/AMP to the flexijack. But the problem is if I want to use DAC for my speaker, I have to buy Dac and amp separately right?

Hmmm I am using Ms2i and about to grab a pair of Westone 3.

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the back of the X-Fi the very top jack is a muliplex jack and can be used as line I/O or coaxial digital I/O. I have a coax cable going from that jack to coax in on my EMU 0404 USB. In the X-Fire driver settings you have to enable Digital I/O for it to work. How you cange that setting depends on if you are using XP or Vista. On your amp you simply connect coax cable from top jack of X-Fi to the digital coax in on your amp and then enable Digtial I/O in your X-Fi driver settings, set PC volume and media player volume to 100% (if your mediaplayer takes over control of PC volume) and you are good to go.

Yes I have already set the jack to digital I/O. Cheers mate

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I know I can plug the speaker to the line level signal jack, and plug DAC/AMP to the flexijack. But the problem is if I want to use DAC for my speaker, I have to buy Dac and amp separately right?

Hmmm I am using Ms2i and about to grab a pair of Westone 3.

I am not sure about all the ways you can connect your speakers and how the speakers power themselves. IIRC the Z-2300 have digital-in and power themselves. Just use that.

If you want better sound from your headphones maybe look into the Little Dot amps. Especially the LD 1+ which works wonders with Grados or so I've heard. As for a DAC the Musical Fidelity V-DAC? I would look into that DAC regardless of what amp I'd get. It is said to be an incredible bargain and some people like it over the DacMagic.

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure about all the ways you can connect your speakers and how the speakers power themselves. IIRC the Z-2300 have digital-in and power themselves. Just use that.

If you want better sound from your headphones maybe look into the Little Dot amps. Especially the LD 1+ which works wonders with Grados or so I've heard. As for a DAC the Musical Fidelity V-DAC? I would look into that DAC regardless of what amp I'd get. It is said to be an incredible bargain and some people like it over the DacMagic.

XtremeMusic Line Level Output --> DAC --> Z2300
XtremeMusic Digital Output via mini to RCA --> DAC --> AMP --> HP
So you mean that if I connect two devices into the sound card they cannot be used at the same time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back