How To Connect 2 Things To Speaker Output From Amp?
Sep 26, 2003 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings all,

I just managed to pick up a pair of AKG 1000's at a good price from a fellow Head-Fi'er. They are shipping out to me tomorrow. I've really been looking forward to having a pair of these to connect to my Cary SLI-80 Signature integrated amplifier. Suddenly, I realized that I have a problem. I ALSO have a pair of speakers on the way that will need to be connected to the amplifier too. Obviously, there is only one set of speaker connections on the amp. How can I effectively handle this? Is there a high quality but reasonably priced a/b speaker selector switchbox, or what would be my best option. I dont want to compromise the sound quality of the amplifer, speakers or headphones in reproducing music.
Thanks for any help with this.

JC

Sep 26, 2003 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 23
Nightfall: You could try the QED MA15.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Sep 26, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 23
Does the SLI-80 have a headphone jack? If so, a simple solution would be an adapter cable for the AKG K-1000 so that it could use the 1/4" jack. If the output of the amp is fed to the headphone jack, this should work.

Sep 26, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 23
I had the same issue with my K1000s and my Musical Fidelity A3. I have the K1000 Equinox cable connected to my speakers outs with the spades, and then attached some Cardas banana plugs to the spades on my speaker cable. When I want to listen to the K1000s, I simply unplug the Cardas bananas from the speaker terminals on the A3. It is kind of a pain, but functional. I have an extra set of the Cardas bananas if you are interested.

This is what they look like:

cab_banana.jpg

Sep 27, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 23
Sounds to me like you need to just purchase a second Cary SLI-80 Signature.

J/K...

Sep 29, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 23
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am beginning to think I have a much bigger problem here than I realized. I made the mistake of thinking this problem must have been rectified after all these years.
Hirsch, to answer your question, yes, the SLI-80 "Signature" edition does indeed have a dedicated headphone jack, its specially made for the purpose (besides still having the ability to drive speakers instead when you throw a switch on the front panel. However, I have no idea how one would get an adaptor cable for the K1000's. Not to mention they really require the Stefan Audio Art Equinox cable (special AKG1000 version) to sound truly outstanding and that comes with spade lugs.
JMT, thanks for the help by recommending the banana solution but that wont work, as the rear of the amp is completely unaccessible due to where its placed, unless I get a stool, climb on top of the computer desk, and, while standing on it, lean all the way to the rear, against the back wall behind it, and change a connection. Definitely not something one would do on a regular basis.
Damn, I hadnt expected this to be such a problem
frown.gif

If I cant find a workable solution, I may have to sell the AKG1000's when they arrive, which is really, really unfortunate. I had looked forward, very much, to owning them and listening to them regularily.

JC

Sep 29, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by lini

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Manfred,

I didnt mean to overlook your suggestion. I dont know what exactly a QED MA15 is, but I will certainly check it out. Do you have any personal experience with one of these, and whether it could posibly degrade the sound quality? Thanks.

JC

Sep 29, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 23
I assume that the amp has only one set of speakers out, right? Otherwise use one for each, the other solution could be the UHC signature by ASL, it has a switch that let you choose between speakers and headphone, and it is attached to the speakers out of the amp, is a matching transformer BTW, if the transformers attenuate too much, you can simply remove them and that's it, any other "good" speaker switch IMO will cost you more....

aqluhcsignature.jpg

Sep 29, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by lini

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Great idea, however, it drops the amplifier load to 4 ohms and this appears to be problematic in my case
frown.gif

Here is a link though for anyone else that might benefit from this product:

http://www.nutwoodmusic.com/acatalog...ching_124.html

Again, Lini, if you have owned or used the product, please let the others know, as they may want to consider it for future applications.

JC

Sep 29, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
I assume that the amp has only one set of speakers out, right? Otherwise use one for each, the other solution could be the UHC signature by ASL, it has a switch that let you choose between speakers and headphone, and it is attached to the speakers out of the amp, is a matching transformer BTW, if the transformers attenuate too much, you can simply remove them and that's it, any other "good" speaker switch IMO will cost you more....

aqluhcsignature.jpg

Thanks for this idea Sovkiller, but as I stated in my reply to Hirsch, the amp already has that type of switch. I need one that can switch from one pair of speakers to another. I greatly appreciate the help though. Thanks again.

JC

Sep 29, 2003 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 23
Nightfall: Don't worry - if you have a pair of 8 Ohm speakers and the K1000 (120 Ohm), the total impedance won't drop to 4 Ohm, only to 7.5 Ohm, which should hardly make any difference. Apart from that, the QED switchers have good quality and reliability for the price. My favourite hifi dealer in Munich used to recommend these thingies and had some in use for his demo setups, too. I've never a/b-compared the sonic effects, though - I'd exspect a very small degradation, but as always individual mileage will vary...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 1, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 23
Hirsch's answer was to get a second amp dedicated for the K1000's. It's a pretty sweet match (vintage "receiver").

Oct 1, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Hirsch's answer was to get a second amp dedicated for the K1000's. It's a pretty sweet match (vintage "receiver").

He said that? I must have missed it. But okay, assuming I even did want to take that route, how do I send the signal from my source to TWO different amps?

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back