How to clean V-Modas
Apr 29, 2007 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hokiedad

New Head-Fier
My daughter loves her V-Modas but this afternoon started complaining that one side is louder than the other. Looking closely at them, I realize the problem is that they're dirty.

I've taken the tips off and obviously it's easy to clean the outside, but there's quite a bit of what I presume to be earwax on the screens. Any suggestions (other than tell her to clean her ears, which I've already done)?

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 7
I use a fine soft tooth brush back and forth across the screen. This normally, after a minute or so of brushing, gets them clean. I am always concerned that there will be some earwax that will sift through over time and interfer with the driver. Time will tell. The JBL 220's use a piece of material that can't effectively be cleaned and is a very poor design, in my opinion.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 7
but, how do you prevent the toothbrush from pushing any debris further inward? This is a question that has always bothered me, since the Vibes have no replacable filters. .................ditto Sensaphonics (if you rememer the thread).

Apr 29, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 7
That is why I lightly brush back and forth with a soft brush, so as to not push in the debri but as also noted, I am concerned that over time some will inevitably work into the driver section. I don't know how else to clean the screen that does get ear was caked on it. I posed this question to Val but never really got an answer. I think it is something that should be addressed and I did mention replaceable filters to Val but it was expressed that this would not be an easy task.

Apr 29, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 7
Ok, the technique worked to clean off the surface of the screen, but there is still a problem with the right side. The sound is moderately attenuated. I'm thinking they have gone bad.

Apr 30, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 7
Try to blow into the screened area sealing it so that the air has to go through the tiny hole on the case. Sometimes the hole gets plugged and that will mess up the sound. There is material inside (damping) that can also get in the way of the hole. I have moved it out of the way of the hole with a needle and the highs are better.

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 7
An advantage to the biflanges may be that they at least to seem protect against earwax getting to the screen. As long as you check them regularly, it's a long way for wax to travel. I clean them by removing them from the Vibes, rolling the biflnages between my thumb and forefinger to loosen the wax and then blowing hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back