How To Clean Serious Gunk Off Vinyl??
Jul 17, 2008 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11
I just bought a brand new record and there is some kind of stuff all over it. I could go on about this, but does anyone know how to get it clean without ruining the record? I need to use something strong, as I think the stuff is glue, but solvents and such are out of the question. I could return it, I guess, but they don't have a replacement in stock and it will take a MONTH! Thanks,
Jason

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 11
Try washing it in white vinegar with a brand new sponge, and then rinsing in distilled water with another brand new sponge. Towel dry it gently with a soft towel and let it dry overnight before playing it.

See ya
Steve

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 11
Jul 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 11
You can use isopropyl alcohol diluted with distilled water and let it soak in, and then gently wipe it with single ply toilet tissue in the same direction as the grooves. Do this as many times as it takes, making sure to do it once or twice after you can no longer see anything to rinse the grooves out as good as possible. The alcohol wont hurt the vinyl (don't know about vinegar) and should loosen things. If the alcohol doesn't touch it, I know someone who uses Ronson lighter fluid (sparingly) with good results, again rinsing with alcohol to remove the oils from the lighter fluid. Let it dry, and then use a carbon fiber record brush to remove the toilet paper lint before playing.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Toilet paper will leave residue in the grooves. A microfiber cloth would be a better choice.

See ya
Steve

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfyWolf Von Wolfenstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa! A little luck and I found this:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f36/ho...e-vinyl-57513/
Some good tips in that thread. =)

That was the funniest, most disgusting thread I've read in a long time...the mental imagery was enough to make me gag, lol...

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Toilet paper will leave residue in the grooves. A microfiber cloth would be a better choice.

See ya
Steve

That is probably true. I use a VPI machine to clean my records, but not everyone has something like that, so the TP is a low budget alternative I've seen others use. But the microfiber cloth would be entirely more lint free, but I'm not sure how absorbent. The key issue is to get the liquid out of the grooves, since the liquid will have all of the suspended grime in it, which is why a vacuum machine works so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back