How to clean headphone cables?
Aug 9, 2020 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Deolum

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,
i just bought a pretty old headphone used (AKG K1000). While the headphone is in excellent condition the cable is a bit sticky and smells like pipe tobacco. Cable is hardwired on the headphone and there seem to be no replacement cables around so i wanna be careful with the cable. What's the best way to clean it? Just paper and water? Is the water safe on the cable as long as the paper is only a bit dampish and not wet?

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 10
Hello guys,
i just bought a pretty old headphone used (AKG K1000). While the headphone is in excellent condition the cable is a bit sticky and smells like pipe tobacco. Cable is hardwired on the headphone and there seem to be no replacement cables around so i wanna be careful with the cable. What's the best way to clean it? Just paper and water? Is the water safe on the cable as long as the paper is only a bit dampish and not wet?
Some mild soap and just clean them off and if you can’t take it I’ll wouldn’t mind taking them off your hands.

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 10
I also like using moist cleaning wipes as previously mentioned.
Also isopropyl alcohol for really tough stains/smells can work wonders.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that when wiping the cable, always hold the cable and wipe along the cable from where you are holding it towards the hard-wired terminations.
Never wipe away from the plug or headphones or y-split in the cable as that will put unnecessary strain on those joints/connections.

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 10
soap and distilled water, as long as cable and strain relief is intact no need to worry about damaging it

if u r concerned, u can always hot glue the connector points, wash, then remove the glue to temp water seal

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Simple Green is great because it cleans without destroying surfaces. I would be concerned about alcohol drying out cables and making them stiff.

Aug 10, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Simple Green is great because it cleans without destroying surfaces. I would be concerned about alcohol drying out cables and making them stiff.
Good point.
Isopropyl alcohol can have dreadful effects on some rubbers and plastics and should only be kept as a last resort for the worst stains and odours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back