How to check if my headphones output the same volume across all frequencies?
Apr 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

eobet

100+ Head-Fier
It's either because I'm currently feeling sick, or I'm beginning to suspect that the bass is stronger in my left ear than in my right on my current pair of headphones. The problem is that it's only on certain frequencies of very deep bass.

Is there a way I can test this?

Either via some (simple) test app where I choose a frequency to output both left and right, or (preferably) a ready-made sound sample file I can download and just play to see if it sounds right?

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 10
I'd just swap the cups on the song you notice it on and see if you still notice a difference. It's not exact but should work, short of a sound lab.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Check this out.
Quote:

I'm beginning to suspect that the bass is stronger in my left ear than in my right on my current pair of headphones

If you reverse L/R and still hear stronger bass in your left ear, it should be your hearing. Use the hearing test to make a graph should help.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm really tired, but if the song(s) really have stronger bass in one cup, turning my headphones around won't do much to test it, right? Also, I'm using a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900 which doesn't have its drivers centered, so unless you place the headphones properly on your head, they will sound odd.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the sound test link, but I need to test much lower frequencies than what I was allowed to set in that program.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by eobet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really tired, but if the song(s) really have stronger bass in one cup, turning my headphones around won't do much to test it, right? Also, I'm using a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900 which doesn't have its drivers centered, so unless you place the headphones properly on your head, they will sound odd.

Yeah you're right. I completely forgot about the offset drivers. My bad.
I would use a frequency sweep in the range your interested in. To test each channel change the balance in your computers sound settings. http://www.burninwave.com/#lowsweep

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 10
Piece of cardboard the shape of your pads with a hole in the middle. Analog SPL meter from Radio Shack. Put the the meter in the hole and run some frequency tests to see if you get the same SPL on both sides.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by eobet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's either because I'm currently feeling sick, or I'm beginning to suspect that the bass is stronger in my left ear than in my right on my current pair of headphones. The problem is that it's only on certain frequencies of very deep bass.

Is there a way I can test this?

Either via some (simple) test app where I choose a frequency to output both left and right, or (preferably) a ready-made sound sample file I can download and just play to see if it sounds right?

I hate to tell you this but the only way to do it with any at all accuracy is to have a dummy head molded from your head, ear canal, ear geometry and all. Then somehow put a mic in the dummy head where your eardrum is.

Then put the headphones on the dummy head and run the sweep, save the chart. Now shift the headphones 1mm , run the test again and get completely different results.

What I am saying is what you are trying to do is futile. There isn't good scientific analyisis of headphones the way speakers can be modeled. We are in the stone ages with this technology.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah you're right. I completely forgot about the offset drivers. My bad.
I would use a frequency sweep in the range your interested in. To test each channel change the balance in your computers sound settings. Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix

Wow, absolutely great!

But a strange thing happened: The first time I listened to that with my Pro 900, I could clearly hear the tone being stronger in one ear, it was like the tone was moving left and right a bit during a certain frequency span (a very, very low one, just as I expected).

So then I switched to my Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro to see if it was my hearing that was wonky, but it was absolutely perfectly centered with them.

Then I switched back to the Pro 900 again and at least for now, I can't hear any difference anymore. It does sound centered. Odd. Well, I'll do more tests later...

Anyway, thanks again for all your tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back