How to check if a flac file is real?
Mar 22, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 40
One way to find out is to check the frequency range.
Cause MP3 files are ran through a low-pass filter on encoding, cutting off at 16-19Khz depending on settings.

You still can't be 100% sure, but it should give you a clue.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One way to find out is to check the frequency range.
Cause MP3 files are ran through a low-pass filter on encoding, cutting off at 16-19Khz depending on settings.

You still can't be 100% sure, but it should give you a clue.

and how can i check the frequncy range? is there a software for that??

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and how can i check the frequncy range? is there a software for that??

Audacity should be able to do so, and I even think it can import those FLAC files directly.
Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 40
The trouble with just checking for frequency is that it will only indicate lossy files of relatively low bitrates. At higher bitrates the cutoff can be above 19 kHz or more and there often isn't a lot of energy above that even in lossless files... so lack of extremely high frequency content isn't a very sure indicator. Aucdtect (while not 100% accurate because nothing is) will do a much better job.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 40
Spectrogram is also useful in this. (e.g. Foobar2000's one).

In a lossless file, it should spike up and down and vary, in a CBR file, it should 'trim off' at a certain height and not have those peaks.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've ripped it yourself surely you'd know if it was from the original CD?
cough cough downloading flac's?

i sometimes download(legally ofcourse) some trance tracks from juno downloads, and they supply (exept from mp3 ofcourse) wav and flac files,
so..although i am 99% sure that they are not faking it(they also charge alot for this) i decided to check the files quality anyway just to be sure.

i also have a lot of spare time lately. most of my cds i rip myself so thats not a problem.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 40
legally download flacs?! where!?

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
legally download flacs?! where!?

i don't know if there are any other sites, but "juno downloads" let you download wav and flac from them. btw, it's 99.9% electronic music.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 40
right i just did an search on juno :p didnt turn up any results other than an ISP :p yeah not for other type of music still if u like dance /trance

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right i just did an search on juno :p didnt turn up any results other than an ISP :p yeah not for other type of music still if u like dance /trance

for dance/trance lovers it's a great site. although downloading in lossless formats is expensive! but it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back