how to buy.
Feb 12, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Yeah, mostly makes sense to me and I follow a similar philosophy. Although usually I won't buy the best, I'll buy the best deal, which is sort of an important distinction. There's usually a sweet spot for price/performance on a lot of goods. But for things I just need one of and don't really care about, I'll go pretty cheap. I care more about watches as timetelling devices than fine timepieces or jewelry, so I've got a rugged $15 one I bought at Galyan's and a $35 Lorus dress watch that looks nice but was cheap (and hey, it's still really a Seiko).

I do tend to take really good care of my stuff, so buying "the best", or at least something a little more substantially nice is a smart move since I'll keep it and use it as long as I can.

Feb 12, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 8
That's pretty much my buying philosophy. I've never worked consistent overtime or made a decent wage in my life, or accepted a dime of help, but I have two (cheap) vehicles (one with a couple grand worth of sound), rent my own place, have a nice HDTV, thousand dollar bicycle, a modest gun collection, this $2400 laptop, no debt and money in the bank...I'm the butt of my friend's 'rich' jokes, yet they all make more than I. I could survive quite well on what they spend at the club every weekend.

I don't have an expensive car payment and the insurance to match the cool car...I have a 99 corolla I bought for $500, gets 30mpg and costs 20 bucks a month to insure. I don't spend a dime on alcohol or women or fashion or entertainment (music doesn't count). I'm not cheap, I'm descriminating, and I hate waste. I live very cheaply and buy good stuff. If I can't afford what I want I don't buy it. I wear cargo pants I got for 5 dollars, because I put no value in pants, and I clip about $200 worth of knives and flashlights to them, because I place value in the knives...I expect them to last me my whole life. What they cost me to buy initially approaches irrelevance.

When I decided I wanted headphones, I 'couldn't afford' $200 headphones. But I bought the HF-1. I have never regretted it, and when I want to sell them I can always get my money out.

Feb 12, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 8
I like this quote
icon10.gif

Quote:

People in forums are totally crazy, and in many cases spend their entire lives researching to find out what the best of something is. Let them do the work for you.

I agree with Elec about sweet spot for price/performance.

Try applying buy cheapest or best and build a home stereo
wink.gif
ok Either $10 computer speakers or some $100 000 speakers.

The main point is if your going to spend a significant amount of money, research to get something that worth it. If you don't care enough, buy cheap and save.

But then even cheap stuff there are good and crap and really crappy. Look for functionality. Is the design sound or stupid. Just don't buy the cheapest because it's cheap usualy you can find a cheap stuff that at least functional.

A simple example that come to my mind now is a can oppener where you have the traditional cheap design all metal that work very well. I went to a friend house. He had a cheap plastic can openner that supose to cut from the side. Pick up the thing you see it flimsy try to open a can doesn't bit the metal unless you hold it at screw angle with all your might and somebody else turn the dammed can
very_evil_smiley.gif
wasted five minute of my time trying open the can
rolleyes.gif

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 8
I hate it when I go someplace to buy something and the salesperson asks 'how much do you want to spend?'
Of course 'how much CAN you spend' is a different question. But don't ask me how much I WANT to spend. I want to spend the least amount necessary.

My attitude is more 'This is what I'm looking for. Now you tell me how much I need to spend, if it's possible to get what I want for less that what I CAN spend.'.

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Where might I find a 99 Corolla for $500 and such cheap insurance?

Have mad shopping skillz.
tongue.gif

Actually, buy a cosmetically damaged, high mileage Corolla off of a preacher that thinks you are a good kid, and is deserate to get rid of it before he leaves the country to do missionary work.

And then, since the car is worthless, and you are a full time student, tack it (liability only) onto your parent's (who own a small trucking company) insurance policy.

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
That's pretty much my buying philosophy. I've never worked consistent overtime or made a decent wage in my life, or accepted a dime of help, but I have two (cheap) vehicles (one with a couple grand worth of sound), rent my own place, have a nice HDTV, thousand dollar bicycle, a modest gun collection, this $2400 laptop, no debt and money in the bank...I'm the butt of my friend's 'rich' jokes, yet they all make more than I. I could survive quite well on what they spend at the club every weekend.

I don't have an expensive car payment and the insurance to match the cool car...I have a 99 corolla I bought for $500, gets 30mpg and costs 20 bucks a month to insure. I don't spend a dime on alcohol or women or fashion or entertainment (music doesn't count). I'm not cheap, I'm descriminating, and I hate waste. I live very cheaply and buy good stuff. If I can't afford what I want I don't buy it. I wear cargo pants I got for 5 dollars, because I put no value in pants, and I clip about $200 worth of knives and flashlights to them, because I place value in the knives...I expect them to last me my whole life. What they cost me to buy initially approaches irrelevance.

When I decided I wanted headphones, I 'couldn't afford' $200 headphones. But I bought the HF-1. I have never regretted it, and when I want to sell them I can always get my money out.

. . . Love the post.

It's all about the value but some people don't understand. I am also a subject of 'rich' jokes (because of my electronics) but in actuality, I am a poor student
frown.gif

And I have no problem with spending big dollar and retire equipment after heavy heavy use. I am talking about things that become obselete or "breakable." Many will question this but, for example, my laptop with which I do a lot of NLE editing on and dvd authoring is basically broken with a messed up case with tear and wear from 2 years of work. However, after all my DVDs, edited videos, and projects for clients, I am perfectly content with retiring it. I bought the computer for a purpose and that purpose has been fulfilled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back