How to burn-in new IEMs (Reference S4i's waiting for me at home)
Jan 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

wehungthedj

New Head-Fier
So I love my Meelec CC51-P's, but they're built like crap. After my second replacement finally bit the dust (the microphone/button housing kept coming apart and finally the wiring snapped in two), I decided to finally pull the trigger on the Reference S4i's I've been looking at for a while. I want them to sound the best though, so what's the best way to "burn in" new IEMs? I've never done it purposefully before, only listened and then it burnt in over time I guess.

Thanks guys.

Also, I still love MEelec, and I'll likely get the A161 if it's as cool as I'm hearing, but I hope these Reference S4i's are my holy grail.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 2
I don't have the "reference" S4i's, but I do have the S4's which are essentially the exact same thing, as I don't think the driver's actually changed from version to version. (someone else can correct me if I'm wrong)

First off, before you get people start bashing on the s4's, I'll just say that I personally think they are a pretty good IEM for the money. My one recommendation would be to buy some Comply Tips for them. They really did make a big different for me . . .

As for burn in:
I can tell you that I did two things, I listened to the headphones immediately after opening the box, but I also listened to them after about 24 hours of "burn in". I noticed a small different, but it wasn't overwhelming.

My method of burning my S4's were to queue up a playlist of music that I would typically listen to along with a scattering of Test Tone tracks. I basically set the volume to about 65-70% (10-15% above what I normally listen to) and let the playlist go for about 24 hours.

Honestly, I'd just say to listen to them and let them burn in over time. They may sound grainy and have lack luster bass at first, but it will smooth out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back