how to build diy such as Hornet M
Sep 6, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 50
something that small with that sound quality, probably not unless you spend tons of many in R&D, casing, etc.

Manuel

you can build a portable mini3, www.amb.org/mini3 which is much bigger and people have reported to have very good SQ.

Manuel

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 50
something that small with that sound quality, probably not unless you spend tons of many in R&D, casing, etc.

Manuel

you can build a portable mini3, www.amb.org/mini3 which is much bigger and people have reported to have very good SQ.

Manuel

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 50
The mini3 looks to be about the same size as the Hornet; it fits in the smallest Hammond case which is 80mm x 50mm x 20mm. I haven't heard either (yet, my mini3 parts are on the way), but I would expect to see similar designs, though probably different opamps were chosen. This is probably the closest analog to the Hornet that's around though, from what I can guess, the design seems very similar.

Sep 6, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 50
I have high performance mini3 and I can confirm that mini3 has very good sq.

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 50
When you get into the SQ of amps. There are probably only going to be small differences. That to me does not warrant the big cost differences.That is why I went DIY.

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #7 of 50
Just a little factoid. The Mini³ is a little wider and longer than a Hornet, but is thinner. I would say they're in the same "size class".

MASantos might be thinking of the previous-generation, unreleased Mini³ v1 when he said that it's "much bigger than a Hornet".

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 50
FYI- I got yelled at and had my thread shut down & removed when I asked the same thing awhile ago, which I don't understand. I read the head-fi policies & conditions first, and it doesn't ban asking such a question. Also someone pointed out back then that reverse-engineering for individual use (not to mass-produce & make a profit) is explicitly legal. I'm not at all b¡tching @ u for doing attempting to do so, just a heads up.
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh and PM me if you ever figure out how to do it
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 50
The OP didn't say anything about cloning or reverse engineering a Hornet. The way I read it, he was asking for a DIY solution "like a Hornet", which to me simply means he was looking for something around the same size and quality. There is nothing wrong with that...

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 50
^The hornet is a simple 2 channel CMOY.

The only difference is the choice of OPAMP. If you can find whatever that opamp is, you can have a "hornet" of your own.

On the other hand, the Mini3 is a 3 channel Cmoy. LOL huh.

Essentially, when it comes to "basic" circuits like these, there's no such thing as "innovation/something new". It all depends on how much effort you put into finding the perfect components for the circuit. A cmoy can be made to sound excellent if you put in enough effort.

Oct 11, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #12 of 50
Thank you, Chu Moy should get money from RSA^^
biggrin.gif

It's not exactly a Cmoy, because there is I think a buffer (or maybe it is two mono op amp) and the power supply looks very different.

On the Cmoy there are 2 capacitors from 220 to 1000 µf.
In the Hornet there is 1 huge capacitor of 15 000µf.

My original Idea is to change the power supply part of the Cmoy for a one capacitor.

The Hornet can drives a AKG K340 with a 9V battery, it is Huge!
beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 50
I don't know of any buffers in dual packaging.
I doubt it's a buffer. It's more likely another opamp at unity gain acting like a buffer. The iBasso D1 has the same config.

edit: actually, it looks like it's an active ground

Let's see when this thread will get smited...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back