How to be sure you're getting a 2021 version Audeze LCD-X?
Nov 25, 2021 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
When buying online (or even at a physical retailer) - it's pretty difficult to know the stock turnover of the retailer (lower turnover = higher chance of being sold an old model), or even if the old model LCD-X was accidentally put in the 2021 version box (if there is a 2021 version box).

So is there something on the headphone itself you can identify to distinguish a 2021 version LCD-X from an older version LCD-X? Like, do the drivers have a green hue under direct light (like the Stealth version Hifiman Arya does whereas the non-Stealth version does not)? Or is a serial number somewhere on the headphone and all numbers past a certain value must be the 2021 version? Or is the weight different? Or is the impedance/sensitivity different?

Because that is a lot of money to spend just to speculate you're getting the version you want; I'd like to be able to know definitively...

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 31
So you're spending that amount of money without even knowing which model you'll get? If I'd be in that case: I would make sure I'll GTFO and get something else. This tactic is IMHO disrespectful towards its customers. And not only Audeze does this, also Sony does this like their OLED TVs and confusing the customers. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit but this is just BS, you buy something that expensive just to gamble on which version you get.

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 31
Serial numbers are a thing: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...ver-update-with-serials-and-production-dates-, you can find that info in a card that comes inside the case.

Also, the magnet structure is different now with fewer fazors:

Headphones 25.jpg

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 31
That's not ideal. Firstly, the pads are glued on, so it's not easy to access the fazors. Secondly, if a retailer has both old and 2021 version stock of the LCD-X and are frequently demoing the units (possibly even so that customers can A/B them) how can we be sure that an old version of the LCD-X did not accidentally get placed in the box of the 2021 version (with the serial number card inside said box)? And we then might get unlucky by buying an old LCD-X that was inside the box of a 2021 version LCD-X. I would be very wary about that happening. The serial number should be on the actual headphone itself.

Also, do you have an image of the older version of the LCD-X to highlight what the difference in fazor structure is?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 31
That's not ideal. Firstly, the pads are glued on, so it's not easy to access the fazors. Secondly, if a retailer has both old and 2021 version stock of the LCD-X and are frequently demoing the units (possibly even so that customers can A/B them) how can we be sure that an old version of the LCD-X did not accidentally get placed in the box of the 2021 version (with the serial number card inside said box)? And we then might get unlucky by buying an old LCD-X that was inside the box of a 2021 version LCD-X. I would be very wary about that happening. The serial number should be on the actual headphone itself.

Also, do you have an image of the older version of the LCD-X to highlight what the difference in fazor structure is?
You can see/touch the fazors through the ear pad material easily. Older versions had 8 fazors, the new ones have 6 as seen above (btw you can just unscrew the grills/cups, those are on the outside too as was the case with the photo above). There are a few other subtle differences, including the holes in the support band being larger in size apparently, but I don't have the previous versions to verify this.

headphones-17.jpg

But if you are going as far as thinking someone is going to use the newer packaging with older headphones, then I don't think anything can persuade you :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 31
You can see/touch the fazors through the ear pad material easily. Older versions had 8 fazors, the new ones have 6 as seen above (btw you can just unscrew the grills/cups, those are on the outside too as was the case with the photo above). There are a few other subtle differences, including the holes in the support band being larger in size apparently, but I don't have the previous versions to verify this.
This! yes I was about to say the same, you can feel the fazors and count them.

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 31

headphones-17.jpg

But if you are going as far as thinking someone is going to use the newer packaging with older headphones, then I don't think anything can persuade you :)

Well. I admire your knowledge regarding this matter, along with your DIY sensibility. If the Audeze product can be authenticated
in this matter, well, there you go.

But (you knew there was a "but" on the way) - the customer should not have to jump through these hoops in
order to determine the true date that the headphones were manufactured.
They're expensive headphones! Someone is gonna be laying out a whole bunch of money
for a set of them.

Whoa, I'm getting ahead of myself. I know little about Audeze headphones other than that
they're expensive, with a reputation for good sound.

In my view, the best way to proceed with determining the "pedigree" of the headphones,
is to phone and or write to the folks who run the company. Nothing complex, it's
just a few simple (and legitimate IMO) questions. And you're not "bothering" them,
you're a potential customer who's about to spend a bunch of money.

Audeze should be ready, willing, and even eager to provide this information to you.
Every product today has a date/time stamp - from a Casio watch, to a can of tomato soup,
to a small pleasure boat, - everything! I, for one, will be very interested to find out if Audeze
makes this process a simple one - as it should - or a PITA.

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 31
When buying online (or even at a physical retailer) - it's pretty difficult to know the stock turnover of the retailer (lower turnover = higher chance of being sold an old model), or even if the old model LCD-X was accidentally put in the 2021 version box (if there is a 2021 version box).

So is there something on the headphone itself you can identify to distinguish a 2021 version LCD-X from an older version LCD-X? Like, do the drivers have a green hue under direct light (like the Stealth version Hifiman Arya does whereas the non-Stealth version does not)? Or is a serial number somewhere on the headphone and all numbers past a certain value must be the 2021 version? Or is the weight different? Or is the impedance/sensitivity different?

Because that is a lot of money to spend just to speculate you're getting the version you want; I'd like to be able to know definitively...

The Serial Number is on the barcode sticker on the cardboard box, the Certificate Of Authenticity that came with the headphones, and also on the headphones themselves on a small sticker underneath the headband strap, off to one side and just above the adjustment block (for suspension headbands):

tZM5UAOVbi7vORyadxG10tP6p

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #10 of 31
Along with what @moriez posted,

For those who may be curious, here are the start dates and serials for the new configuration:

11/23/20 LCD-X Leather-Free 7527615

11/9/20 LCD-XC Leather 8523700

11/23/20 LCD-X Leather 7527600

11/23/20 LCD-XC Leather-Free 8523710

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #11 of 31
Thanks for replies. However, it's a bit disconcerting that it's only a sticker on the headband and not welded or engraved in.

Now I'm even hesitant to buy a 2021 LCD-X off Amazon. Because, picture this scenario: a guy owns an pre-2021 LCD-X and hears that the 2021 LCD-X is better. In order to get a 2021 LCD-X for free he buys one off Amazon, then swaps the serial number sticker of his pre-2021 LCD-X with the serial number sticker of the 2021 LCD-X he just bought. Then he places his pre-2021 LCD-X in the 2021 LCD-X box and immediately returns it to Amazon for a full refund. Then you later buy his pre-2021 LCD-X off Amazon (wrongly marketed as the 2021 LCD-X), you check the serial number, and it looks like it indeed is the 2021 version - but you never knew that the guy who returned it before you swapped the serial numbers. So you end up with a pre-2021 LCD-X, and he ends up with a 2021 LCD-X for free.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #12 of 31
Thanks for replies. However, it's a bit disconcerting that it's only a sticker on the headband and not welded or engraved in.

Now I'm even hesitant to buy a 2021 LCD-X off Amazon. Because, picture this scenario: a guy owns an pre-2021 LCD-X and hears that the 2021 LCD-X is better. In order to get a 2021 LCD-X for free he buys one off Amazon, then swaps the serial number sticker of his pre-2021 LCD-X with the serial number sticker of the 2021 LCD-X he just bought. Then he places his pre-2021 LCD-X in the 2021 LCD-X box and immediately returns it to Amazon for a full refund. Then you later buy his pre-2021 LCD-X off Amazon (wrongly marketed as the 2021 LCD-X), you check the serial number, and it looks like it indeed is the 2021 version - but you never knew that the guy who returned it before you swapped the serial numbers. So you end up with a pre-2021 LCD-X, and he ends up with a 2021 LCD-X for free.
Aren't the Serial Numbers engraved? Doesn't Amazon check if the stickers are authentic?

It's a bit disconcerting, I mean, their headphones are not cheap.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 31

Then ensure yourself by buying new from an authorized dealer if you feel such a possibility exists.

The Serial Number is also on the barcode sticker on the cardboard box, the Certificate Of Authenticity that came with the headphones, and also on the headphones themselves...

The drivers also each have a serial once you remove the pads, and that can be tied to an assembled unit. So it's not just one sticker.

Also as people stated, fazors seem to be a different count on the 2021 model vs the older one that has more fazors. I count 6 on the LCD-X I have at home. And it's 2021.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #14 of 31

Would be kind of interesting to hear Amazon CS respond to this.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 31
Ouu, you've really stirred things up.😁👍😁👍
But rightly so and more than understandably.
The points raised are really not uncommon nowadays.
And Amazon, for example, doesn't care, in the worst case the headphones end up in the trash.

Last year I ordered a Lcd 2C and got a GX by mistake.
And I sent a picture of the serial number of the card and of what I still have to the place where I ordered it.
Apart from that, you also have to enter the serial number of the headphones for the Reveal program.
So it would also be possible to order a headphone to activate the software.
Of course, a free exchange as a bonus of the headphones.

I was still thinking about the Lcd X 2021 and something told me to wait, there might still be old models in circulation.
Now I know why I haven't done it yet.

You are absolutely right, Audeze must do better, or at least go so far as to allow the buyer to clearly identify it beforehand.

For All you can buy dealers it is of course a difficult task to recognise and examine the models. as well as at Amazon because they do not train staff there for returns.
An official partner of Audeze, on the other hand, would be the only thing that still gives a little confidence to buy there to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back