How to be sure that Flac/MP3 files are ripped accurate or not?
Jun 20, 2009 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

meta21

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm using 'dBpoweramp CD Riper' program in my PC (Win XP) to rip CDs into Flac/MP3 (VBR Max). Many times after finish the ripping, In the 'Rip Status' show 'Not in AcccurateRip' or 'Inaccurate'.
confused_face_2.gif

My question is: how can I be sure that Flac/MP3 files are ripped accurate or not?

Also, what is the best CD/DVD-ROM to rip CDs accurately?

Quote:

Or, do I need a external CD-Player?
happy_face1.gif

Many thanks

jecklinsmile.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 17
I use exact audio copy.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 17
Besides using a regarded CD ripper, preferably paired up with AccurateRip, I do not think there are ways to be totally sure.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 17
Have you gotten any CDs to report as accurate when using dBpoweramp? If you haven't gotten any then you probably have the wrong sample offset configured for your drive. Go to Options, reset the sample offset for the CD ROM to zero. dBpoweramp should then ask you for a key disc next time you rip. The key disc will allow dBpoweramp to figure out the correct sample offset.

The current implementation of AccurateRip in dBpoweramp does have a limitation. If you happen to have a disc that is a different pressing than the ones that are currently in the AccurateRip database you'll end up with none of the tracks being able to be verified accurate. If you check the log text file you'll see a line saying that you possibly have a different pressing. The next version of dBpoweramp will likely have some calculations and corrections to be able to handle different pressings of the same CD title.

If I get a CD that is clean (no scratches) and is declared "secure" by dBpoweramp but can't be verified by AccurateRip (either because it is not in the database or is a different pressing) I'll generally accept that rip. Secure ripping in dBpoweramp does a good job, sometimes better than Exact Audio Copy. If the CD has scratches I'll rip it a second time in a different CD drive and manually compare the log files. If the CRC32 number and AccurateRip CRC numbers match for all tracks (comparing the log file for each rip) then that is good enough for me to be confident in the rip.

If you're a bit paranoid you can up the secure ripping settings. Go to Options. Set the Ripping Method to "Secure" and then click on "Secure Settings". Enable the option for "Enable ultra secure ripping". Set the option to vary drive speed for each pass. Also verify that C2 error correction is set correctly. Have dBpoweramp detect C2 error support. Don't enable C2 error support if your drive doesn't support C2 errors or does C2 errors incorrectly.

With ultra secure ripping enabled I find that I have gotten good rips from CDs that EAC failed on (but that has been rare). If the CD is in AccurateRip and is the correct pressing an ultra secure rip will be quick. If the CD is not in AccurateRip the rip could take 30 minutes because each track will need to be read up to 6 times and compared. If you do an ultra secure rip and get no errors you can be pretty confident that the rip is good.

Of course all of this is also dependent on how well your CD ROM drive does ripping and how well it does C2 error correction.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 17
If you rip with the burst mode and are lucky enough to get an AccurateRip match that says the rip was accurate then you're good. Fast rip and it was accurate. You saved time.

But if you're not so lucky (maybe the CD isn't in the AccurateRip database or the CD you have is a different pressing) then you're left wondering if your quick rip, that had no error recovery done, is a good rip. To qualm any doubts you'll have to enable secure mode and rip it again. In that case you haven't saved any time by doing the burst mode rip.

I've never used the burst mode. I don't know how often you're likely to end up with different results between burst and secure. If you have a used CD that has some wear or scratches I'd be suspicious of the rip.

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks Ham Sandwich!

Just find out I'm using 'Burst rip' for years!
normal_smile .gif
Most the time I don't read the manual
deadhorse.gif

Just change my setting to 'Secure' rip and the result is: 'AR' (I think that mean Accurate Rip) and 'Secure'!
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif

Also, thank geremy. I may give Exact Audio Copy a trial.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides using a regarded CD ripper, preferably paired up with AccurateRip, I do not think there are ways to be totally sure.

This is my methodology too. Sometimes AccurateRip won't have a disc in it's database because I have a different pressing or it's edited or something, but if EAC is set up correctly and you get no read/sync errors then it's a perfect rip.

I think out of my 200+ CDs I've ripped, maybe a handful still get errors.

Oh and another tip if you get read/sync errors. Try hand washing the CD in warm water with some mild soap (I just use hand soap) and rinsing. Then gently rubbing some toothpaste in (from the center out to the edge) and then rinsing that off. Pat dry with a towel and then rip again. That's saved many a disc for me in the last year and a half that was pretty hammered.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 17
Rip of 20 CDs last night and only one track has error due to scatch. I will use ZoNtO's tip to give the CD another go.
Will get a Toshiba DVD-ROM when my current DVD-ROM RIP :)

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 17
for damaged discs, you can also use CDbremse and play around w/ the drive speed...sometimes 2X will give better results than say 8X, or burst mode for hopeless discs(it requires manual audio checking, though)

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by meta21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rip of 20 CDs last night and only one track has error due to scatch. I will use ZoNtO's tip to give the CD another go.
Will get a Toshiba DVD-ROM when my current DVD-ROM RIP :)

Let me know via PM how it goes my friend.

Also, I forgot to talk about equipment in my thread. I used to own a pretty good quality Lite-On CD Burner (this was in 2004) and I ripped quite a few CDs without problems. Sometimes, however, the thing had trouble reading CDs with anti-piracy measures, hidden track one audio, longer lead-in, etc... and this prompted me to search for something else. Ended up purchasing a Plextor Premium CD burner.

This thing is still rock solid. I only use it for ripping CDs and use my Samsung SH-203B for EVERYTHING else. I want it to last forever.

But, I have never had a problem ripping ANY disc with this badboy (aside from the actual disc being too beat up with deep scratches or pinholes.) I whole heartedly recommend them if you can find one in good shape. It usually takes me about 20 mins to rip a CD with EAC in Secure Mode and encode it to v0 LAME mp3 and ALAC (set up EAC with a REACT script to do both at the same time,) so it's not the fastest solution. I love knowing that it's perfect though. I don't know what I'm going to do when/if this thing breaks...

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

... had trouble reading CDs with anti-piracy measures, hidden track one audio, longer lead-in, etc...

If my DVD-ROM start to spring like crazy with those anti-piracy, I just run the program AnyDVD and put the CD back again. It usual should be ok
smile_phones.gif

My 6 years old PC has few Pioneer DVD-ROMs. Last night I had few bad rip, but I just rip them again and all ok (but one with the scratch).

As many good reports with EAC, I will give it a go sometime
happy_face1.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for damaged discs, you can also use CDbremse and play around w/ the drive speed...sometimes 2X will give better results than say 8X, or burst mode for hopeless discs(it requires manual audio checking, though)

Is CDbremse in English or Germen? That is ok even in Germen: I just use Google Translate and take my time.
happy_face1.gif

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back