1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

How to automatically EQ your headphones to online measurements: a step by step guide

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by EQGuy, Jul 10, 2017.
First

Back
1 2
  1. yatekei
    Alright I definitely understand what you meant now at least, even if not why haha. Thanks :)

When you say it decreases in volume smoothly, I assume you mean that, a linear line on the graph corresponds to a linear decrease in volume?

What frequency would you say in the treble is equal to half the loudness of 3kHz? Looking at a Harman curve just now, I would say 9-10kHz. Is that right?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. EQGuy
    You don't need to worry about this if you're following the guide. Just make sure that it smoothly decreases in volume without any obvious peaks (except the three quarter wavelength resonance peak) or dips.

3. castleofargh Contributor
    the issue here is that the exact equal loudness contour is specific to the listener. the curve we see everywhere is an average from many curves done by many people.
    then the notion of flat for a headphone is also listener specific(because of the missing HRTF cues). so depending on how much accuracy you're looking for and which references you're starting with, you will be right or completely wrong ^_^. but in general, you wouldn't even be able to find a neutral headphone, and if you somehow did you would create your own ELC from it, that may or may not align exactly with the latest version published. only the general idea will hold hold, for example you will most certainly find 2khz louder than 8khz. if you didn't, then for sure your headphone wasn't remotely flat.
    so I'd answer you with a firm yes and no. :wink:

4. castleofargh Contributor
    sorry I can't help, I imagine that Taobao would be the place to look for stuff like that, but I go mad trying to navigate Chinese websites on my own.

First

Back
1 2