How to audition cable changes
Feb 27, 2009 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Good Times

Member of the Trade: Krispy Kables
I’ve just started making my own cables, and very much enjoying the challenge and options available. However I’m trying to compare against my previous generic cables.

Can anyone be specific as to how to audition cables? Ie are there any types of music that show the differences more easily? Should I be directing my ears to lower frequencies, higher, etc?

I ask because I can hardly hear a difference, yet my new cables are entirely different to the ones I’m comparing to. Ie old ones are coax 3.5mm to RCA with copper plugs. New are twisted pair wires, nickel plated plugs, and a far shorter length. With little in common, I was expecting to be able to hear the change.

All I can think of is that perhaps my interconnects were never the weakest link in my system…..

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 9
The main thing is, don't change the volume before and after you change the cables. I have a playlist of music that has particular quiet passages, instruments (such as piano and violin) and faint background sounds to listen for detail with. It also has a couple of live performances for checking the soundstage.

I hope that helps.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Also keep in mind that many people do not think that it is possible to hear the difference between cables, as long as both are properly shielded.

(This is not my opinion, I personally do not know)

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 9
Be familiar with your rig. Change cables. Listen long term. Change back. If there is a difference for the better in how things sound over that period of comparisons, stick with the change. If you hear no difference, it doesn't matter. If the new cables aren't as good, go back. Chopping and changing every song, 15 minutes or album isn't as good for actually getting to grips unless the changes are far less suble than any I've found with cable changes.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Take 2 or 3 recordings that are well done. Listen to them for long time and get intimate familiar with them. Listen to the tones, soundstage, details, etc.
After you know exactly what you are listening to then roll the cables and listen to the new ones looking for them same specific attributes that you focus on in the first ones.

For instance. I always listen to Eagles "Hotel California" live version for its acoustic sounds, bass and soundstaging. My second one is Fleetwood Mac "Beautiful Child" on this one I look at the midrange and voicing and my third one is Diana Krall's "The look of love".

Everytime I change anything in my systems I always listen to this 3 same songs first.

I hope this helps.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 27, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take 2 or 3 recordings that are well done. Listen to them for long time and get intimate familiar with them. Listen to the tones, soundstage, details, etc.
After you know exactly what you are listening to then roll the cables and listen to the new ones looking for them same specific attributes that you focus on in the first ones.

For instance. I always listen to Eagles "Hotel California" live version for its acoustic sounds, bass and soundstaging. My second one is Fleetwood Mac "Beautiful Child" on this one I look at the midrange and voicing and my third one is Diana Krall's "The look of love".

Everytime I change anything in my systems I always listen to this 3 same songs first.

I hope this helps.

This is my method as well. I have a few songs I have tested equipment with for 35 years. I know every defect, instrument character, vocal signature, low and high end detail. Each song is chosen for those things I want to test for.

I was able to audition 4 different design/material cables first. I then was able to listen to the line of the maker I first chose. It didn't take much listening to hear any differences. If you sound pretty much the same after burn in, long term won't make much difference. A silver coated copper rectangular ribbon will sound different from a cable that came with the player. I think anyone can hear that. It's the finer nuances that long term listening will show. How a cable handles different quality source material. Are they super high resolution or are they warm and lush. How well balanced are the highs, mids and lows?

Learning to listen takes a long time and I am learning little tricks here all the time.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the advice. I was just doing like one minute of a track, then roll cables, then the same one minute and so on. Will give it more of a chance. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back