How to adjust your PCDPs tracking and focus
Oct 8, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #46 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omari149
I have a D-465 that won't play CD-R's but it'll play the originals, can you all tell me which pot to adjust?

Try marking the original positions with a fine-tipped marker, then experimenting until you find the right one(s). After adjusting my D-121, it seems these things adjust within a fairly narrow range, so it's easy to improve the situation and difficult to really screw things up.

Jan 28, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #47 of 57
Once again this awesome guide saved me! I adjusted the Tracking Bias up a bit, spun the Tracking Balance Pot a smidge, and bingo, a D35 that can even play upside down now and take a few knocks! Thanks!

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #48 of 57
I have a D-303 that I just got a short while ago - it skips like crazy on some CDRs and occasionally on some originals. I am gonna give this a try..

Oh, and Duncan - you are so right - the 303 sounds like absolute rubbish with certain phones. Cannot even listen past 2 with my JBL 510's. Oh well... I was a kid when I thought it sounded great...
frown.gif

Scored a D-321 today though, so hopefully that will be a fab replacement for my D-311.

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #49 of 57
303 uses the D-35 transport which is probably the least reliable transport I've ever encountered. If adjustment isn't helping, make sure to check the bearing on the spindle motor (might make clicking sounds when spun, for example), as that may be the culprit, in which case you'll need a new spindle motor.

Mar 29, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #50 of 57
Where can I find a new spindle motor then? Just got a d-303, but it's motor is making clicking sounds when it's spinning. I would love to make this pcdp fully functional again.

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I find a new spindle motor then? Just got a d-303, but it's motor is making clicking sounds when it's spinning. I would love to make this pcdp fully functional again.

I know a while back I asked Ray Campbell at Allfixelectrical in Australia (http://www.albury.net.au/~allfix/) about the motor for the D-35, which if I recall correctly is the same motor as for the D-303, since they appear to use the same transport. You could try contacting him and see if you can obtain the motor from there.

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #53 of 57
Oh boy, this thread just gave me some hope!!!

I have a D-303 that I sent out to a reputable Head-Fier for repair, and the diagnosis was that it "needs a new transport". It was sent back to me because (I'm guessing) that Head-Fier, who didn't have access to another D-303, didn't know about the 2 parts websites listed here in this thread or that another model's transport could take the place of the original.

My first question is this: what does a transport consist of? Is it just a motor? Is it an assembly consisting of several parts? Is there a chance Sony may even has the part(s) I need?

Second question: is there a pictoral guide to replacing this - or a similar - transport here on Head-Fi that a newbie like me (I've never done anything like this in the past) may be able to follow?

Thanks, in advance, for any responses/help offered. My D-303 is the best-looking (cosmetically) vintage PCDP the Head-Fier that attempted to repair it has ever seen. Maybe I can make it into something more than a paperweight...? [size=small]zD[/size]

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #54 of 57
The transport in this case I think could be meant as the laser pick up, which I think consists of one cmplete part under one part number. Currently the last time I checked with Sony they no longer carry or have in stock a OEM replacement for the D-303 laser pick up.

As for a pictorial guide of the parts layout of a D-303, someone here may have a copy of the service manual in PDF format. If not, one can be had online for a price if you google D-303 service manual.

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #55 of 57
Well I've taken another hard look at my d-303 and it seems that only the pots need adjusting as it plays cd's fine but is extremely sensitive tot moving it around. Also found out that the motor which drives the cd is absolutely silent when playing a cd when first I thought it was making clicking noises when spinning.
As for adjusting the pots, anyone got some pictures of a d-303 inside and can point me to the right pots as I'm a bit weary of ruining my player
rolleyes.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #56 of 57
OK I ended up adjusting the pots but I think I did something wrong because I can hear a very high screaching sound when playing a cd, it's on the background but if you listen or when it's silent in the song you can hear it clearly. Sounds like crickets.
And it's not taking all my cd's anymore
frown.gif
guess I'll be getting myself a new one
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #57 of 57
Hallo everyone, I have a d-211 witch it spins up the disc and then it shuts off. I made all the possible steps such as new lens, capacitor change etc. and it still can't play any disc. So, the only thing left is the adjustments. Which adjustments should i perform in order to read the disc?

I really love this player and i want to fix it defenately
Please respond even thought this thread is old.
Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back